ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Visa for Russian

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

soul2626
Newly Registered

UK Visa for Russian

Post by soul2626 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:09 pm

Hello,

I met my russian girlfriend on holiday in Tenerife back in November and we have met in different countries (all through Europe) 5 times over the past 8 months. I also went to visit her parents home in St. Petersburg, Russia twice in the last two months (oh my, what a beautiful city).
She is now studying in the United Kingdom on a student visa for a year (September 2014 - September 2015) and her visa lasts until January 30 2015.
It is good because we can finally do what we have waited so long for... live together.

I am just wondering our options for her to stay in the United Kingdom after the student visa expires. As far as I know, she can stay here on a business visa as long as she likes as long as she is working?
Does she need to go back home to get this business visa or can she apply whilst shes here on a student visa?

Also I am wondering if part-time work is applicable for her to stay in the United Kingdom - is there a limit on the minimum number of hours?

I plan to start my own business in a year or two years time and is it possible for me to employ her? For example, she could work part-time elsewhere and work part-time for me.
Would this be applicable for her to stay in the United Kingdom on a business visa?

People have told me it's a good thing that I have visited her home as it looks good when she tries for a visa to stay here longer.

I am just curious to our other options, such as getting married? We have talked and plan to do this anyway but would this benefit us?
If she was on a student visa here and we got married can she stay without working full-time? (not saying she doesn't want to work but I'm just worried that she could struggle to find work right after graduation before the student visa expires).

Also how long does she need to work in the UK to have a UK passport and stay here permanently?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: UK Visa for Russian

Post by physicskate » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:31 pm

She has two options:

1 - Get married (presumably to you). There are financial requirements. 2 visas. 5 years. Then she can apply to stay indefinitely.

2 - Get hired by a company that will sponsor her for a Tier 2 General work visa. This is quite a difficult visa to get. The post will have to meet stringent salary and skill-level requirements. Part time work (below 32 hours per week) will not qualify her for this. The job will need to be deemed necessary for graduate to perform (so not at a chippy, or even as a secretary etc...). In order for her to stay indefinitely she will need to work for 5 years, at the end of which she will need to earn £35k. After she applies for ILR, she will have to have it for 12 months before being able to apply for citizenship. This is a very complex route.

I suggest you do some reading on the UKVI website to get to grips with the rules. Additionally, these rules change at least annually.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: UK Visa for Russian

Post by Wanderer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:39 pm

Also you can't work on a business visa, only attend meetings, presentation etc. Also they are for visits here to perform the above, not effectively live here. You can't employ her unless you have a Sponsors licence, which you won't have.

As the previous poster said, there are very few options for you, marriage the easiest, work permit practically impossible unless very highly skilled, or remain as a student, expensive.

Be aware too of the new rules the Duma is implementing regarding dual nationality for Russian citizens.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....