ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing companies Tier 2: dependency and Timing of application

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

secular1
Newly Registered

Changing companies Tier 2: dependency and Timing of application

Post by secular1 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:57 am

Good morning everyone!

I hope you can please help with some clarification.

Context: I came to the UK in 2020 on Tier 2 (5 years as work is permanent). My company is going through a lot of structural changes which has created huge uncertainties, reduced morale and led to high attrition. I am considering other opportunities and already being approached by 3 companies for senior level roles. All will offer visa sponsorship and I am seriously considering one of the companies for a potential switch. I have the following questions;

1) Will my family who are also on the 5-year visa apply for a new dependency visa if I change employer. Or can they remain on their existing visa and use it to travel in and out of UK? I am asking as I dont want this to be a negotiation point in the new salary if the company has to pay for it.

2) My current role requires 3 months notice. As such when will be the best time to start the new visa processes for the new company. Does the existing visa get cancelled immediately I put in a new application or only when the new visa is approved? As I cant leave before my 3 months notice what happens if my visa is approved before the 3 months, can I still work for the current employer?

Many thanks for your help!

secular1
Newly Registered

Re: Changing companies Tier 2: dependency and Timing of application

Post by secular1 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:29 am

Hi All,

Please anyone can advise on my message below?

Many thanks!

kumaresh2902
Newly Registered

Post by kumaresh2902 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:05 pm

I have the same questions like yours!

Could someone please help?

Many thanks!

amkay

Post by amkay » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:21 pm

secular1 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:57 am
Good morning everyone!

I hope you can please help with some clarification.

Context: I came to the UK in 2020 on Tier 2 (5 years as work is permanent). My company is going through a lot of structural changes which has created huge uncertainties, reduced morale and led to high attrition. I am considering other opportunities and already being approached by 3 companies for senior level roles. All will offer visa sponsorship and I am seriously considering one of the companies for a potential switch. I have the following questions;

1) Will my family who are also on the 5-year visa apply for a new dependency visa if I change employer. Or can they remain on their existing visa and use it to travel in and out of UK? I am asking as I dont want this to be a negotiation point in the new salary if the company has to pay for it.

2) My current role requires 3 months notice. As such when will be the best time to start the new visa processes for the new company. Does the existing visa get cancelled immediately I put in a new application or only when the new visa is approved? As I cant leave before my 3 months notice what happens if my visa is approved before the 3 months, can I still work for the current employer?

Many thanks for your help!
I have exactly same questions, did you find answer to your questions?

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:20 am

secular1 wrote:
See: https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/ ... d-children

"If you cannot apply at the same time, your partner or child can apply to extend or switch their visas at a later date. This must be before their current visa expires."
secular1 wrote:
Your new employer should be aware of your notice period to issue a CoS accordingly.
Yes, you can work out your notice period for your current employer after your new application has been approved.

See: https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/ ... r-employer

"You can apply to update your visa up to 3 months before the start date of your new job.

You can continue working in your current job while your new application is being considered, or to work out your notice period - as long as you apply before your current visa expires."

amkay

Post by amkay » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:34 am

lolo2 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:20 am
secular1 wrote:
See: https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/ ... d-children

"If you cannot apply at the same time, your partner or child can apply to extend or switch their visas at a later date. This must be before their current visa expires."
secular1 wrote:
Your new employer should be aware of your notice period to issue a CoS accordingly.
Yes, you can work out your notice period for your current employer after your new application has been approved.

See: https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/ ... r-employer

"You can apply to update your visa up to 3 months before the start date of your new job.

You can continue working in your current job while your new application is being considered, or to work out your notice period - as long as you apply before your current visa expires."
Many thanks for your response. It means that it does not make any legal immigration issue if the start date on my CoS is before the end of my notice period and I work for both employers for a short time(1-2 week)?
It seems that immigration rules allowed having two sponsors at the same time so based on my understanding it is possible to work for both employers at the same time.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:10 am

amkay wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:34 am
It means that it does not make any legal immigration issue if the start date on my CoS is before the end of my notice period and I work for both employers for a short time(1-2 week)?
You can start working for your new employer on the start date on the CoS or a later date, you need to agree this with them.
amkay wrote:
It seems that immigration rules allowed having two sponsors at the same time so based on my understanding it is possible to work for both employers at the same time.
No, you cannot work for two employers at the same time if you switch sponsors. The provision from the guidelines is for you to serve your notice period to the current employer while your application is being considered.

amkay

Post by amkay » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:39 am

lolo2 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:10 am
amkay wrote:
It means that it does not make any legal immigration issue if the start date on my CoS is before the end of my notice period and I work for both employers for a short time(1-2 week)?
You can start working for your new employer on the start date on the CoS or a later date, you need to agree this with them.
amkay wrote:
No, you cannot work for two employers at the same time if you switch sponsors. The provision from the guidelines is for you to serve your notice period to the current employer while your application is being considered.
Did you see the Secondary employment section on this guide?
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 2.0ext.pdf

It stated that: "A Skilled Worker can apply to do a second (additional) job that does not qualify as
supplementary employment. For example, it requires more than 20 hours work a
week. They will need a new CoS for this second job and must apply for a variation of
permission, in addition to the certificate and permission for their existing job. This is
because working in the second job is not covered by their existing conditions."

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:45 am

amkay wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:39 am
lolo2 wrote:
amkay wrote:
amkay wrote:

It stated that: "A Skilled Worker can apply to do a second (additional) job that does not qualify as
week. They will need a new CoS for this second job and must apply for a variation of
permission, in addition to the certificate and permission for their existing job. This is
This is not the same as your circumstances of working your notice and changing main sponsor. Stop confusing yourself.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

amkay

Post by amkay » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:57 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:45 am
amkay wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:39 am
lolo2 wrote:
amkay wrote:
amkay wrote:

This is not the same as your circumstances of working your notice and changing main sponsor. Stop confusing yourself.
Thank you very much for your response. So what's your solution to my issue? My start date on my new CoS is later that the end of my notice. Now my decision is to take leave(paid and unpaid leave) from my previous employer(sponsor) after the start date of my new CoS. Can it fix the issue?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:59 am

You cannot work for another employer while on leave from your previous sponsor.

Simply ask your new employer to note on the SMS system a new and delayed start date.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

amkay

Post by amkay » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:33 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:59 am

Simply ask your new employer to note on the SMS system a new and delayed start date.
Thank you very much for your response.
I will ask my new employer to change my start date. Can I start working for them(my new employer) after getting my new visa but before the start date on my CoS if my previous employer accepts to give me leave(paid/unpaid)?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:37 pm

amkay wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:33 pm
CR001 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:59 am

Thank you very much for your response.
I will ask my new employer to change my start date. Can I start working for them(my new employer) after getting my new visa but before the start date on my CoS if my previous employer accepts to give me leave(paid/unpaid)?
You can only start working for your new employer on or after the start date on your cos and once your current employment is formally ended.

I suggest you not attempt to find a loophole that suits your situation. Simply follow the rules to avoid any issues.
Char (CR001 not Casa)