ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Curtailed leave following Skilled Worker employment termination

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

gaxo
Newly Registered
Italy

Curtailed leave following Skilled Worker employment termination

Post by gaxo » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:10 am

Hi everyone,

I'd like to ask for your advice regarding something that I thought would be a simple inquiry but it's turning out to be something quite confusing which is driving me crazy.

Context
I started working in the UK in January with a Skilled Worker visa. At the end of February, due to a series of reasons, I quit the job and terminated my employment with the sponsoring company. The company notified the Home Office of the employment termination and provided an out-of-date address.

I've changed address in the meanwhile and I'm afraid this will prevent me from receiving the letter from the Home Office that curtails my leave and indicates the date by which I need to leave the UK. I have updated my address on my online UKVI account but I don't know whether that was too late. In any case so far I haven't received any letter at my new address. I've also checked a few times the mail at the old address and there was nothing (but it's a strange building where all mail is put together in one box and many things often get lost or thrown away by mistake so I can't be sure that it never arrived there).

Issue
I'm now in the situation where I don't know how to check when my leave expires and when I have to leave the country. I understand the curtailed period that is usually granted is 60 days so I'm planning to leave the country next week just to be sure I'm leaving within that timeframe but I also know that's only a Home Office general guideline and the length of the curtailed leave could differ depending on each individual case, which makes me very worried that I might even be already overstaying. I tried contacting UKVI several times on their phone number about this but they keep telling me they are not able to check that for me and the only way to know that really seems to be reading that letter (By the way, I find it quite crazy that everything depends on a piece of paper sent by mail! The whole visa process is online, how difficult would it be to send an email or have this information available on webpage?).
I'm worried about potentially overstaying and compromising any future UK visas I might apply for. Since I have no idea how to check my updated leave (nor can I know whether the letter has already been sent or not), I'm desperately trying to find a way to get an answer about this from the Home Office.

Questions

1. Does anybody know how I could check that and if there is another way besides receiving the letter?
2. If I leave next week (so before 60 days from my last employment day), can I relax and be confident that I'm not overstaying and I'm doing the right thing? Does it happen often that leave is curtailed to less than 60 days and the letter might have said I needed to leave immediately? (even though I'm not a dangerous person or a fraudster)
3. My page on the Right to Work check website still indicates the original visa expiration date. Do you know whether this means my leave hasn't been curtailed yet? Or this would never get updated so it means nothing?
4. Maybe it's a crazy idea, but do you think I could try speaking with a Border Force agent at the airport before I leave and ask them if they could check whether I have overstayed or not? Just so I can be more relaxed for future applications and I know what to expect. Do you know whether they have access to this kind of information?

Any thoughts you might have on any of the above would be highly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!