ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependent visa term for child born in the UK

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mubeeeen
Newly Registered

Dependent visa term for child born in the UK

Post by mubeeeen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:13 pm

Hi all

I am on a UK Tier 2 General visa with my wife and daughter being dependents. Our Tier 2 was initially for 3 years and is up for renewal next year i.e. in April 2022. We are expecting a child this June/July and have been considering whether to apply for newborn's visa immediately after the birth or whether to wait until next year and apply together with our renewal.

My main question is, if I apply for newborn's dependent visa immediately after birth, will the child be granted a 3 year visa (i.e. which runs till 2024) or will it be only limited to the end of our current visa term (i.e. April 2022) considering it will be a dependent visa? If its the former then I will apply for the visa immediately after birth otherwise may need to consider delaying till early next year when we can apply given the short gap!

Any guidance on this will be very appreciated! Sorry if this has been asked before, I could not find any relevant discussion.

Thank you

vinny

Re: Dependent visa term for child born in the UK

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:27 pm

mubeeeen wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:13 pm
only limited to the end of our current visa term (i.e. April 2022) considering it will be a dependent visa
SW 36.2.
A child will be granted permission which ends on the same date as whichever of their parents’ permission ends first, unless both parents have (or are being granted) settlement or British Citizenship, in which case the child will be granted permission for 3 years.
If not applying, then consider getting adequate health insurance for child.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mubeeeen
Newly Registered

Re: Dependent visa term for child born in the UK

Post by mubeeeen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:32 pm

Thank you for the help, Vinny - appreciate the quick and to the point response!