ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

english language requirement for work permit extension

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

eager2learn

english language requirement for work permit extension

Post by eager2learn » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:50 pm

I am on a work permit and going to get an extension on tier 2. The question is do I need to show English language requirements now or I dont need it as it is just an extension of work permit to tier 2?

I have a toefl paper based test taken at year 2000, will it work as going thorough the tier 2 documents it seems like the acceptable grade there is only for computer based toefl tests. My B.Sc. and M.Sc. degree was in english but how can I prove it?

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Re: english language requirement for work permit extension

Post by tvn_ramesh » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:13 pm

eager2learn wrote:I am on a work permit and going to get an extension on tier 2. The question is do I need to show English language requirements now or I dont need it as it is just an extension of work permit to tier 2?

I have a toefl paper based test taken at year 2000, will it work as going thorough the tier 2 documents it seems like the acceptable grade there is only for computer based toefl tests. My B.Sc. and M.Sc. degree was in english but how can I prove it?
For english language.. you can go to the PBS Calculator and check if your BSc and/ OR MSc. University/ Degree/Course/Qualification are recogniszed by PBS Calculator and if ti recongises it shd allow you to choose one of the Degree's while calcualting the English Language points..

please check at this link
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator

eager2learn

Post by eager2learn » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:19 pm

tvn_ramesh wrote:
eager2learn wrote:I am on a work permit and going to get an extension on tier 2. The question is do I need to show English language requirements now or I dont need it as it is just an extension of work permit to tier 2?

For english language.. you can go to the PBS Calculator and check if your BSc and/ OR MSc. University/ Degree/Course/Qualification are recogniszed by PBS Calculator and if ti recongises it shd allow you to choose one of the Degree's while calcualting the English Language points..

Thanks Ramesh. It seems like my degrees are not approved for English language points. In that case, will my paper based TOEFL in year 2000 will be ok(I got good scores)? I ve also got a GRE also at year 2000 but that doesnt seem to be an approved test either.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:49 pm

eager2learn wrote:
tvn_ramesh wrote:

Thanks Ramesh. It seems like my degrees are not approved for English language points. In that case, will my paper based TOEFL in year 2000 will be ok(I got good scores)? I ve also got a GRE also at year 2000 but that doesnt seem to be an approved test either.
Please check this link for more details on English language

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... estst2.pdf

btw if ur masters or bachelors is not recognized by PBS calculator how will ur get points for Educationals qualifications??

please go through the guidance

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

eager2learn

Post by eager2learn » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:01 pm

tvn_ramesh wrote:
eager2learn wrote:
tvn_ramesh wrote:

Please check this link for more details on English language

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... estst2.pdf

btw if ur masters or bachelors is not recognized by PBS calculator how will ur get points for Educationals qualifications??

please go through the guidance

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf
when i put my bsc or msc degrees from the database i get 10 points, but it doesnt let me select those degrees as english qualification.

i made a search for TOEFL IBT, CBT, PBT equivalence and it seems like my PBT score is sufficient. there is no mention of the year required and for the higher level C1, 110 is required in IBT http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... estst2.pdf

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:09 pm

eager2learn wrote:i made a search for TOEFL IBT, CBT, PBT equivalence and it seems like my PBT score is sufficient. there is no mention of the year required and for the higher level C1, 110 is required in IBT
i am not sure but doubt?? again not sure... that the TOEFL or IELTS etc.. are valid only for 2years so you have to check abt the validity of the TOEFL you passed in 2000.

eager2learn

Post by eager2learn » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:20 pm

tvn_ramesh wrote:
eager2learn wrote:i made a search for TOEFL IBT, CBT, PBT equivalence and it seems like my PBT score is sufficient. there is no mention of the year required and for the higher level C1, 110 is required in IBT
i am not sure but doubt?? again not sure... that the TOEFL or IELTS etc.. are valid only for 2years so you have to check abt the validity of the TOEFL you passed in 2000.
but they didnt specify anywhere that toefl score over 2 year old wont be taken, only that the original test report is to be submitted.

when my original work permit was granted in 2006 and then the extension in 2007, i think they did check the english language requirements, and it was ok then. is there any way i can be sure of the exact requierments?

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:26 pm

eager2learn wrote:
tvn_ramesh wrote:
but they didnt specify anywhere that toefl score over 2 year old wont be taken, only that the original test report is to be submitted.

when my original work permit was granted in 2006 and then the extension in 2007, i think they did check the english language requirements, and it was ok then. is there any way i can be sure of the exact requierments?
i dont wanna give ur wrong info. though with ur WP in 2006 n 2007 seems ok than it shd be OK now also... as it is extension of ur WP.. but letz wait for some seniors/applicants in the same situation to respond..

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:44 pm

1. R u sure that PBC is not selecting u degree as english language (U qualifications are UK qualifications or overseas)
2. If u study from UK then PBC must confirm that it was taught in english
3. I will be very surprised that if u degree is from UK and PBC does not give u points for english
4. Which university did u go to (If the qualification is from the UK).

eager2learn

Post by eager2learn » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:34 am

ash786 wrote:

1. R u sure that PBC is not selecting u degree as english language (U qualifications are UK qualifications or overseas)
3. I will be very surprised that if u degree is from UK and PBC does not give u points for english
Hi Ash,
both my degrees are from outside UK, I came here as a working holiday maker and later converted into a work permit. I had to get my work permit visa from my native country in 2006 and then extended it here in 2007. I suppose they did check the english language requirements back then and took my toefl of year 2000 as vaid test.

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:20 pm

eager2learn wrote:
ash786 wrote:

Hi Ash,
both my degrees are from outside UK, I came here as a working holiday maker and later converted into a work permit. I had to get my work permit visa from my native country in 2006 and then extended it here in 2007. I suppose they did check the english language requirements back then and took my toefl of year 2000 as vaid test.
That answer the question that why PBC not accepting u english language points as its an overseas qualification. U will have to take the test again. Please find the link below which explains which tests are acceptable by HO.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... ests-t1-t2

eager2learn

Post by eager2learn » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:38 am

ash786 wrote:
eager2learn wrote:
ash786 wrote:

Hi Ash,
That answer the question that why PBC not accepting u english language points as its an overseas qualification. U will have to take the test again. Please find the link below which explains which tests are acceptable by HO.

Hi Ash,
I do understand that the degrees wont work for English requirement, however I ve got a paper based TOEFL at year 2000 with score 640 which is more than the required score in IBT they published. Both during the work permit in 2006 and the extension at 2007, I guess they did check the English requirements and it was ok then.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:48 am

ash786 wrote: That answer the question that why PBC not accepting u english language points as its an overseas qualification. U will have to take the test again. Please find the link below which explains which tests are acceptable by HO.

Ash, trust you are not making a GENERAL statement here because overseas qualificiations which are listed in the NARIC databases and recognised by PBS Calc. are also accepted for English Languages.. except few here and there.. i used my overseas qualification for both educational and english.. (i am just clarifying my doubt rather than critisizing, no offence here please)

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:42 pm

tvn_ramesh wrote:
ash786 wrote: That answer the question that why PBC not accepting u english language points as its an overseas qualification. U will have to take the test again. Please find the link below which explains which tests are acceptable by HO.

Ash, trust you are not making a GENERAL statement here because overseas qualificiations which are listed in the NARIC databases and recognised by PBS Calc. are also accepted for English Languages.. except few here and there.. i used my overseas qualification for both educational and english.. (i am just clarifying my doubt rather than critisizing, no offence here please)
1. UKNARIC only confirms the level of qualification to the UK education levels and do not confirm that degree was taught in English.
2. I have a mastrs degree from home country and i was only awarded points for qualification and not english language.
3. UKNARIC letter only confirmed my level of the qualification and did not confirm that degree was taught in English
4. UKNARIC web sites states that they only confirm the level of the qualification and not english confirmation.
5. I do not mind if u disagree as long as u have solid reasons to disagree.
6. PBC does not give points for overseas qualification (where English is not the main language)
7. I wud really like to see the proof if u were awarded points from u home country qualification.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:49 am

Buddy...

i am sad u did not read my request (i am just clarifying my doubt rather than critisizing, no offence here please)

I got points from my masters from india for english n educational
this is how..

English language
In this section, you must score ten points for your English language skills at the time of application or your application will be refused.

If you are from a majority English speaking country you can automatically claim ten points for English language skills.

If you are not from a majority English speaking country, you can claim points either for an English language test, or a degree taught in English equivalent to a bachelor's degree or above in the United Kingdom.

How would you like to claim points for English language skills?

I am a national from a majority English speaking country
I have a qualification that was taught in English
I have passed an approved English language test
I have already proved my English language skills in a previous application
I do not want to claim points for English language skills (your application will be refused)

n check this where they allowed me to select my masters to get my english points..

English language
The table shows all of the qualifications you entered earlier in the qualifications section.

If your qualification meets the English language requirement, choose Select and then Next to continue.

If your qualification does not meet the English language requirement, you will not be able to select it.

Choose Add another to search the qualifications database again to add a new qualification to the table.

Country of study State Qualification Institution Length of course Subject Grade Year of award Points for English language Select
India abc Pradesh Master's degree abc University, abc location 3 years or less than 4 Science / Maths 1991 10points

Lets help others rather than waste time arguing... Let peace prevail..

if not we will continue at our PM not to waste space on this board..

Any healthy discussion is most welcome..

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:14 pm

Lol i did not take u answers as an offence or critisim so do not worry as i agree with you that help each other and not argue. I will look at u post in detail and get bak to you. If u say u were awarded points for u qualification from india for english as well then i am not going to say no u did not. So no hard fellings here ma8.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:21 pm

ash786 wrote:Lol i did not take u answers as an offence or critisim so do not worry as i agree with you that help each other and not argue. I will look at u post in detail and get bak to you. If u say u were awarded points for u qualification from india for english as well then i am not going to say no u did not. So no hard fellings here ma8.
Good to hear that mate...

but i just wanted to learn (for future advice) in which cases people dont get points for english.. can u send me acase study u came across.. so that if ppl come with those qualifications.. i wont mis-guide them..

i can send u my letter from HO awarding points for my english.. may be i can cut n paste it in ur PM..

There are many waiting here who requires ur help n expertise.. i think u have good hold on Tier2 process n qualifications..

have a great day mate..

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:20 pm

Thanks for u comments ma8 and yes i will look into it and get bak to you.