Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign income (freelance) on Tier 2 visa

Only for UK Tier 2 (Employer Sponsored) points system Tier 2

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Post Reply
Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:17 am

Foreign income (freelance) on Tier 2 visa

Post by Zazibla » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:30 am

Hi everyone,

I have a question. It may happen soon that I will get a job offer and get relocated to UK on Tier 2 visa. However, I want to keep some of my current freelance clients as an important supplementary source of income. Most of my clients are not from UK (not sure if this matters). I'm currently having a sole trader-like entity in my country of origin and I also can open a fulfilled LLC either in my or in other country.

It is clear that Tier 2 visa is very restrictive in terms of supplementary work (there have been discussions). However, is it going to be a problem if I work as a foreign entity and just show a foreign income via a self assessment or anyhow? Is this illegal at all, and / or is anyone going to thoroughly check details of my foreign income?

Also, is it going to be a problem if we open a LLC on my wife (a dependent visa) and show this income as an a company profit? Are there going to be any problems in this case?

Thank you very much, any advice is highly appreciated.

Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:58 pm
Location: London

Re: Foreign income (freelance) on Tier 2 visa

Post by onlooker » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:06 pm

I would certainly not declare any income on a Tier 2 other than the salary (which is handled by your employer anyway).

Member of Standing
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: Foreign income (freelance) on Tier 2 visa

Post by UKLL » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:14 pm

I believe if you do not use your income in the UK (as in not transfer your income to the UK for any use) and keep it in your home country, it should be OK. My rationale is you do not need to pay tax on the income you earn abroad if you do not use or transfer any of this income to the UK and keep it in your home country as per HMRC guidance (correct me if I am wrong)

Post Reply