ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NI contribution - Tier 2 General

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

adilmd
Newly Registered
India

NI contribution - Tier 2 General

Post by adilmd » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:40 am

Company in India transferred me to its office in UK using Tier 2 General Visa (Not ICT).
Visa duration: April 2019 to December 2020.
Started working for UK office: May 2019
--------------
I am on PAYE. My UK office is not paying National Insurance Contributions.

To my UK HR, I sent a query quoting from HMRC guidance (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-employe ... rom-abroad) that the conditions mentioned are applicable only for Tier ICT and not for Tier 2 General.

They took some days to verify and replied in mail that they verified with HMRC helpline and I am eligible for NIC exemption for first 52 weeks.

However, I believe the first 52 weeks of exemption is applicable only for Tier 2 ICT.
Anyone in Tier 2 General facing or faced similar situation (that your employer did not pay NI for first 52 weeks)? I am worried because, I saw many posts related to ILR rejections due to non payment of tax. I am moving to new employer from March 2020 hence I want to conclude this NIC issue with my current employer and take necessary documents / evidence before I leave.

Request the members to share their experience.

poper
Diamond Member
India

Re: NI contribution - Tier 2 General

Post by poper » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:54 am

https://www.gov.uk/tax-come-to-uk

You will not have to pay National Insurance for the first 52 weeks if you both:

are sent by an employer in your home country to work in the UK temporarily
come from a non-EEA and non-bilateral agreement country

You seem to be satisfying the above two points as long as you are with your current employer
Any suggestions I make in the forum are out my personal experience and should not be taken as a legal/professional advise.

adilmd
Newly Registered
India

Re: NI contribution - Tier 2 General

Post by adilmd » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:30 pm

Thank you for the reply.