Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

(non EU) Germany to UK on Tier 2 worth it?

Only for UK Tier 2 (Employer Sponsored) points system Tier 2

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MarbleMarch
Newly Registered
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:56 pm
Canada

Re: (non EU) Germany to UK on Tier 2 worth it?

Post by MarbleMarch » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:27 pm

simple_explorer1 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:56 pm

Well the quality of life will always be higher in places where you speak the language and can integrate in the society so UK would rank higher in this case (just for the language)
Hello simple_explorer1, my advice is to get the German citizenship then consider moving to Ireland where you won't have any language issues. I think taking a risk by moving to the UK and, if things don't work out, getting stuck in a stressful job or being exploited by an employer who knows you don't have other options, can take its toll on you and your family.

Where abouts in Germany are you? I'm considering moving from Canada to Europe...

simple_explorer1
Newly Registered
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:29 pm

Re: (non EU) Germany to UK on Tier 2 worth it?

Post by simple_explorer1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:11 pm

MarbleMarch wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:27 pm
simple_explorer1 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:56 pm

Well the quality of life will always be higher in places where you speak the language and can integrate in the society so UK would rank higher in this case (just for the language)
Hello simple_explorer1, my advice is to get the German citizenship then consider moving to Ireland where you won't have any language issues. I think taking a risk by moving to the UK and, if things don't work out, getting stuck in a stressful job or being exploited by an employer who knows you don't have other options, can take its toll on you and your family.

Where abouts in Germany are you? I'm considering moving from Canada to Europe...
Thanks for replying. Yeah being stuck with the employer and fully depending on them for residence status is tricky as is. I am based in Berlin. Where are you planning to move?

simple_explorer1
Newly Registered
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:29 pm

Re: (non EU) Germany to UK on Tier 2 worth it?

Post by simple_explorer1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:15 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:51 pm
simple_explorer1 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:33 pm

Also based on what you are saying looks very edgy if some people get curtailment letter earlier than other it literally is luck. Also you say "IT professionals appear on the shortage occupation list" but honestly out of all the product companies I have been in touch with in last 4.5 years hardly 5 percentage has license for sponsorship (or were willing to sponsor on Tier 2 as it is too much of hassle to them as you also said) so although it really differs from case to case but in general someone in IT could also struggle in this situation even if people say IT sector have more job (which might be true) because if we count how many of those jobs can sponsor then the number of opportunities will be significantly lower and take away advantage of bigger IT job market in UK is something I have felt.
It seems that you have been assessing the UK market for a few years then.

And yes, it's a matter of luck. At the end, our experience/qualifications do not matter if a sponsor is not willing to do the process for any reason.

Another thing I perceived during my journey was that some hiring managers or companies tend to hire candidates with certain nationalities. Which is unfair and could even be illegal (a form of nepotism), but I am not in a position to change or fix this. It's a job of the Home Office to investigate this further.

Regarding the IT market, it certainly is one of the most important and fastest growing field right now, but it also has more qualified candidates. When I studied my Masters, we were 10 students in my class (Energy Engineering), while in the Computer Science programme, there were more than 300 postgraduate students so I'm sure the competition is extremely high.
Yes the competition is extremely high for those limited positions available for sponsorships. Also as you said luck and willingness of the companies.

MarbleMarch
Newly Registered
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:56 pm
Canada

Re: (non EU) Germany to UK on Tier 2 worth it?

Post by MarbleMarch » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:48 pm

simple_explorer1 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:11 pm
Thanks for replying. Yeah being stuck with the employer and fully depending on them for residence status is tricky as is. I am based in Berlin. Where are you planning to move?
My first choice is the UK because of the language. But I also speak French so I'm considering France and Belgium as well.

simple_explorer1
Newly Registered
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:29 pm

Re: (non EU) Germany to UK on Tier 2 worth it?

Post by simple_explorer1 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:08 am

MarbleMarch wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:48 pm
simple_explorer1 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:11 pm
Thanks for replying. Yeah being stuck with the employer and fully depending on them for residence status is tricky as is. I am based in Berlin. Where are you planning to move?
My first choice is the UK because of the language. But I also speak French so I'm considering France and Belgium as well.
Cool. You can take a lot of risk as you have a safe fallback even though you would also work on Tier 2. I definitely don't have that safe fallback so its always a full risk if I choose that path. Do you already have a job or are planning to apply for jobs in UK?

MarbleMarch
Newly Registered
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:56 pm
Canada

Re: (non EU) Germany to UK on Tier 2 worth it?

Post by MarbleMarch » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:31 am

simple_explorer1 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:08 am
Do you already have a job or are planning to apply for jobs in UK?
I don't have a job but I keep on applying. I'm waiting for the Conservatives to release details of the new points-based immigration system this month as it'll give me more clarity on what to expect in 2021. My other option is to do another Master's degree starting Sep 2020 and take advantage of the 2-year post-study work visa.

simple_explorer1
Newly Registered
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:29 pm

Re: (non EU) Germany to UK on Tier 2 worth it?

Post by simple_explorer1 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:39 am

MarbleMarch wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:31 am
simple_explorer1 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:08 am
Do you already have a job or are planning to apply for jobs in UK?
I don't have a job but I keep on applying. I'm waiting for the Conservatives to release details of the new points-based immigration system this month as it'll give me more clarity on what to expect in 2021. My other option is to do another Master's degree starting Sep 2020 and take advantage of the 2-year post-study work visa.
Yeah the touted points based system (as there also in Canada). Do you know anything as to what it could look like? WIll it be more/less or equally difficult as it is currently? The only thing I have heard is that PBS also requires job offer to be even eligible so the entry barrier is not as easy as the one in Canada (or anywhere else which has PBS). More if job offer is required even to be eligible for PBS then Tier 2 is no different as it is also granted based on job offer. I just don't know if PBS is introduced and with a job offer people do enter with that system in place then will those employees will be also tied to employer like on Tier 2 or are they directly granted ILR or something else. Incase you have any info it would be much appreciated.

One more question, any specific reason you are looking to move away from canada to UK considering canada is already very popular among perspective migrants?

MarbleMarch
Newly Registered
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:56 pm
Canada

Re: (non EU) Germany to UK on Tier 2 worth it?

Post by MarbleMarch » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:10 am

simple_explorer1 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:39 am
Do you know anything as to what it could look like? WIll it be more/less or equally difficult as it is currently?
I think it'll be easier for people with degrees, work experience and English proficiency.

Here's an interesting report:

https://www.lawcom.gov.uk/project/simpl ... ion-rules/

I also read a few months ago that applicants could get more points if they chose to work outside London and the Southeast in less affluent areas such as parts of the north of England or certain coastal areas.

Sources:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... onomy.html

https://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/news ... ide-london
simple_explorer1 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:39 am
One more question, any specific reason you are looking to move away from canada to UK considering canada is already very popular among perspective migrants?
Because I immigrated to Canada as an adult and most of my family is still in my country of origin. Living in the UK (or Europe) will enable me to visit them more often because it's only a few hours away.They can also visit me more often. I also feel that I fit in better in London.

MarbleMarch
Newly Registered
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:56 pm
Canada

Re: (non EU) Germany to UK on Tier 2 worth it?

Post by MarbleMarch » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:21 am

And here's a link to an old white paper "The UK’s future skills-based immigration system" that was published while Theresa May was PM:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ion-system

A new report will be published this month by the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) and will explain how a points-based system would work in practice.

Post Reply
cron