ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Part time job on work permit (not tier 2)

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

faraz123
Newly Registered

Part time job on work permit (not tier 2)

Post by faraz123 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi,

I am on work permit (Business & Commercial) sponsored by a bank. I have an offer of a part time (Extra job) job outside my main job working hour. That part time job is of same level and same nature of work to my main job. It is a few weeks job that is why it can not cover all responsibilities of my main job. But that part time job responsibilities do not miss matched with my main job responsibilities. I don't want to violate my work permit employment condition that is why I have few queries with regard to that part time employment.

1 - Can I have detailed document that clears me about extra job (part time work) regulation?
2 - Do I need to take permission for part time work from Home Office & my main employer provided that part time job is less than 20 hours per week?
3 - If the part time job in offer is the same level as my main job but it cover subset of my main job responsibilities due to nature of part time job?

It would be highly appreciated if you reply my above queries. I look forward to hear from you guys.

Many thanks,
Faraz

ash786
BANNED

Re: Part time job on work permit (not tier 2)

Post by ash786 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:48 pm

faraz123 wrote:Hi,

I am on work permit (Business & Commercial) sponsored by a bank. I have an offer of a part time (Extra job) job outside my main job working hour. That part time job is of same level and same nature of work to my main job. It is a few weeks job that is why it can not cover all responsibilities of my main job. But that part time job responsibilities do not miss matched with my main job responsibilities. I don't want to violate my work permit employment condition that is why I have few queries with regard to that part time employment.

1 - Can I have detailed document that clears me about extra job (part time work) regulation?
2 - Do I need to take permission for part time work from Home Office & my main employer provided that part time job is less than 20 hours per week?
3 - If the part time job in offer is the same level as my main job but it cover subset of my main job responsibilities due to nature of part time job?

It would be highly appreciated if you reply my above queries. I look forward to hear from you guys.

Many thanks,
Faraz
1. As far as i know that u can not work other than u main employer
2. The guidence is avaialble on the new Tier 2 work permits so if u still have the old guidence then have a good read and it will explian u visa conditions.
3. I am sure that work upto 20 hours is fine and voluntarily wotk is also permitted.

faraz123
Newly Registered

UK Tier 2 (Employer Sponsored) visas

Post by faraz123 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:02 pm

I am little bit confused from your answer. In first line I got perception from your answer (from the first line) is that I can not work apart from my main employer even part time and in last line I feel contradictory.

My main query was that can I work part time of job less than 20 hours? That part time job is of same level and has same responsibilities.

Could you please elaborate it further?

Many thanks,
Faraz

ash786
BANNED

Re: UK Tier 2 (Employer Sponsored) visas

Post by ash786 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:59 pm

faraz123 wrote:I am little bit confused from your answer. In first line I got perception from your answer (from the first line) is that I can not work apart from my main employer even part time and in last line I feel contradictory.

My main query was that can I work part time of job less than 20 hours? That part time job is of same level and has same responsibilities.

Could you please elaborate it further?

Many thanks,
Faraz
1. U can not work part time if more than 20 hours but if its less than 20 hours then u can assuming that the job is same level.
2. Please see the link as it explains the issue in full details.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/workin ... onditions/

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:24 am

Great link ash. I think the below sums up this situation perfectly:
Extra jobs

You can do extra work to the job that you have a certificate of sponsorship for if:

* it is in the same profession at the same professional level as the job that your certificate of sponsorship is for;
* the work is no more than 20 hours a week;
* the work is outside the working hours that the certificate of sponsorship is for.

You do not need to tell us about any extra jobs you take, and can do voluntary work in any sector.

You must not be paid or receive other money for the voluntary work, except reasonable expenses as in section 44 of the National Minimum Wage Act. See the OPSI website on the right of this page for more information about the National Minimum Wage Act."

faraz123
Newly Registered

Post by faraz123 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:37 pm

Thanks both of you. It does help me a lot.