ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Secondment overseas on a T2 work visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

eorange
Newly Registered
China

Secondment overseas on a T2 work visa

Post by eorange » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:29 pm

Hi all

I'm recently considering the possibility of doing a secondment in my home country for a certain period of time. It will be the same firm but at an overseas location instead of the UK. I'm currently on a T2 visa and I have a few questions that hopefully someone could help provide some insights on. Thanks very much in advance!

1. Would this be possible at all, given that I'm currently holding a Tier 2 visa? I guess I'd have to continue to be paid by the UK employer instead of the overseas one to avoid any issues with my visa?
2. If this is possible, would there be a restriction on the length of time that I could do the secondment overseas? I'm conscious that no more than 180 days' absences are allowed in a consecutive 12-month period if I want to apply for the Indefinite Leave to Remain in the near future, and so I assume this secondment will have to be within 180 days?
3. Would there be any other immigration, tax or legal issues that I should be aware of?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Ann

vinny

Re: Secondment overseas on a T2 work visa

Post by vinny » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:01 am

eorange wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:29 pm
I'm conscious that no more than 180 days' absences are allowed in a consecutive 12-month period if I want to apply for the Indefinite Leave to Remain in the near future, and so I assume this secondment will have to be within 180 days?
I agree with your assumption.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.