ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Skipping ILR process for dependent

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

db666

Skipping ILR process for dependent

Post by db666 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:42 pm

Hi folks,

I currently have an ILR and eligible for applying for my British passport. My wife has also completed 5 years and is now eligible for applying for her ILR.

Would it be possible for her to skip ILR if I have a British passport? If not, would it at least be possible for her to skip the 1 year wait after getting her ILR? Thanks for your help and appreciate your responses. Cheers.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Skipping ILR process for dependent

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:24 pm

Would it be possible for her to skip ILR if I have a British passport?
No.
If not, would it at least be possible for her to skip the 1 year wait after getting her ILR?
Yes, but only if you are British at that point, or have attended your ceremony, and if she meets the requirements to apply as spouse of BC based in 3 years residence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

db666

Post by db666 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:10 am

Gotcha, she satisfies the 3 year residence rule but I just need to ensure that she applies her ILR when I'm already a BC to directly be able to apply for British passport as opposed to waiting for an year. Thanks for your help.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:17 am

ILR is a prerequisite for naturalisation. Being a British citizen is a prerequisite for a British passport. She cannot apply for a British passport directly from ILR.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

db666

Post by db666 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:08 pm

Thanks for the correction, cheers.