ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching From Spouse Visa to Tier 2 General Visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mikeyRob
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Switching From Spouse Visa to Tier 2 General Visa

Post by mikeyRob » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:12 pm

Hi,

I came here on a spouse visa but want to switch to tier 2 visa, My occupation is in the list of shortage of occupations which means that my employer will not have to advertise the job (as per my knowledge). However, in order to switch to tier 2 work visa from spouse visa i am not sure if that's possible without leaving the country and applying from home country. Could any one please clarify it.

I would like to know if being a spouse of a Birtish citizen, i can apply to switch to Tier 2 visa whilst in UK.

I am not sure in which Tier or category my current spouse visa comes in ? So, that's why don't know if i can switch within the country.

Please help. Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Switching From Spouse Visa to Tier 2 General Visa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:15 am

Apply from home country. No special treatment simply because you are married to a British person.

Also note that switching will reset your clock for ILR to zero and a new 5 year residence requirement.

Why would you want to switch to such a restrictive visa such as Tier 2??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mikeyRob
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by mikeyRob » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:24 pm

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I am aware of the clock reset , just wanted to clarify if applying from within the country is an option for me whilst on spouse visa or not . Seems like it's not as per your response.

Like i mentioned before it isn't clear under which Tier does spouse visa comes in or if it's a Tier visa or not ? That puzzled me .

Anyway, Thanks again . :)

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:10 pm

A Spouse Settlement visa isn't under the Points Based (Tier) System and therefore doesn't have the same restrictions that you're intending to put yourself under. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.