ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

tax and self-employed under Tier 2

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

gc362952246
China

tax and self-employed under Tier 2

Post by gc362952246 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:45 am

Hi all

I am currently holding Tier 2 G. I won a competition work (outside of my work) and now am getting paid. I have registered a limited liability company but still waiting for the opening of my business account. My full-time job is shortage and the competition work is the same as my fulltime job profession. I checked my right to work on GOV website. It allows me to do 20hours max. of part-time outside of working hour and this can be the same profession as my fulltime job.
I am not able to say how much time a week i spent on the competition. It is a chunk of work rather than regular pattern

Q1: Am I allowed to be self-employed?
Q2: How do I declare tax? is there a deadline?

thank you very much for your help in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: tax and self-employed under Tier 2

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:50 am

I am not able to say how much time a week i spent on the competition. It is a chunk of work rather than regular pattern
You are restricted to 20 hours per week, strictly.
No you are not. Your supplementary employment MUST be with a company on their Payroll, at the same level and SOC as your tier 2 job.
You cannot be self employed on a tier 2 general visa. It is a breach of your visa conditions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gc362952246
China

Post by gc362952246 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:39 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:50 am
You are restricted to 20 hours per week, strictly.

thanks for answering my questions.

The work started spontaneously as a unpaid competition and can be classified as a CPD. I entered as an individual and if I didn't win, it is not a paid job. My concept won therefore i will deliver the project as a second phase. The payment now is for the prize of winning not delivering. Delivering is postponed to next year due to covid 19. I've submitted ILR application so if it is successful, I should be ok?

No you are not. Your supplementary employment MUST be with a company on their Payroll, at the same level and SOC as your tier 2 job.
OK, can I create a payroll for myself under my own company?
It is the same level and SOC as my tier 2 job
I am currently applying for ILR. If I declare this work and tax after my ILR is decided would I be alright?

You cannot be self employed on a tier 2 general visa. It is a breach of your visa conditions.

Is this still an issue?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:45 pm

You cannot work for yourself on Tier 2 General. The rules do not permit this.

Your ILR could be in jeopardy. You should have waited till ILR was granted before starting a LLC etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gc362952246
China

Post by gc362952246 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:56 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:45 pm
You cannot work for yourself on Tier 2 General. The rules do not permit this.
But it can be classified as continuous professional development and it is compulsory to do min 25 hours a year in my profession.

Your ILR could be in jeopardy. You should have waited till ILR was granted before starting a LLC etc.
I registered ltd in order to be on board of a consultancy framework. I haven't started any work yet. will this still be a problem just because i registered a company?