ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 Baby born in UK

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ljager
Newly Registered
South Africa

Tier 2 Baby born in UK

Post by ljager » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:54 pm

I am on a Tier 2 Minister of religion visa and my wife is my dependent. Our 3-year visa expires in June, so we have to apply for a 3-year extension soon. I already have a new COS number and am ready to submit the application.

However, we now have a 2 month old, born here in the UK and we already have the UK full birth certificate for her. We have applied for a birth certificate and passport from the South African embassy, but have heard that it could take up to 9 months for this to process. We would like to travel to SA on holiday as soon as we get a passport for our child.

Can I apply for her to be a dependent on my visa extension application now, without her having a passport yet? If yes, what supporting documents would be needed besides our passports, birth certificate?

If not, can I do so later for her when we receive her passport? What kind of application would that be?

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated!

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Re: Tier 2 Baby born in UK

Post by Djsuccess » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:26 pm

ljager wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:54 pm
I am on a Tier 2 Minister of religion visa and my wife is my dependent. Our 3-year visa expires in June, so we have to apply for a 3-year extension soon. I already have a new COS number and am ready to submit the application.

However, we now have a 2 month old, born here in the UK and we already have the UK full birth certificate for her. We have applied for a birth certificate and passport from the South African embassy, but have heard that it could take up to 9 months for this to process. We would like to travel to SA on holiday as soon as we get a passport for our child.

Can I apply for her to be a dependent on my visa extension application now, without her having a passport yet? If yes, what supporting documents would be needed besides our passports, birth certificate?

If not, can I do so later for her when we receive her passport? What kind of application would that be?

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated!

I have read here before that it is possible to apply for visa for a baby without a passport. I am not sure of the documents required. Since you cannot travel with her until you receive her passport, you can as well wait until you have the passport and then apply for her visa.
Other members of the forum who might have better information will provide you with more information.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

jagthecag
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by jagthecag » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:21 pm

I have a follow-up of this question: Wife and I are on T2(G) visas. Baby born in UK in November and travelled home to Malaysia on malaysian passport (we forgot about getting her BRP sorted BEFORE leaving...plus we were pressed for time as well). Anyway, she's returning to the UK in a few weeks time, (Malaysian passport holders get 6 months visitor visa on entry). Do you think I can apply for an in-country BRP when she comes back to the UK?

My reading suggests I can't because she will be on a tourist visa and guidance says tourist visas cannot be extended in country. Counter argument is im not applying for extension, I'm applying for T2 dependent visa for her.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:14 am

319H.(h)(i)(a) fails.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:50 am

jagthecag wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:21 pm
I have a follow-up of this question: Wife and I are on T2(G) visas. Baby born in UK in November and travelled home to Malaysia on malaysian passport (we forgot about getting her BRP sorted BEFORE leaving...plus we were pressed for time as well). Anyway, she's returning to the UK in a few weeks time, (Malaysian passport holders get 6 months visitor visa on entry). Do you think I can apply for an in-country BRP when she comes back to the UK?

My reading suggests I can't because she will be on a tourist visa and guidance says tourist visas cannot be extended in country. Counter argument is im not applying for extension, I'm applying for T2 dependent visa for her.
Why not start your quetsion in a new thread? Your situatiom is different from the OP.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

ljager
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by ljager » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:15 am

Djsuccess wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:26 pm
I have read here before that it is possible to apply for visa for a baby without a passport. I am not sure of the documents required. Since you cannot travel with her until you receive her passport, you can as well wait until you have the passport and then apply for her visa.
Other members of the forum who might have better information will provide you with more information.
Thank you very much for your advice!

Yes, we could wait for the passport, but I read somewhere that the NHS contribution will double (£400 per year) soon, so would like to add het as a dependent now if it is at all possible.

Do you or anyone else perhaps know where, and in which guidence document it says I can add a dependent without a passport?

Again, thank you for your help!

jagthecag
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by jagthecag » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:06 pm

Hey thanks for the advice Vinny, you're like an immigration advice God!!

gag285
Member of Standing
India

Post by gag285 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:55 pm

ljager wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:15 am
Djsuccess wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:26 pm
Thank you very much for your advice!

Yes, we could wait for the passport, but I read somewhere that the NHS contribution will double (£400 per year) soon, so would like to add het as a dependent now if it is at all possible.

Do you or anyone else perhaps know where, and in which guidence document it says I can add a dependent without a passport?

Again, thank you for your help!
I can assure you that I applied for my infant's Tier 2 dependent visa without a passport and got it successfully processed. If you look at Tier 2 dependent child application, it has an option that reads - Never had a passport because the child was born in the UK.

srsw

Post by srsw » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:42 am

I can assure you that I applied for my infant's Tier 2 dependent visa without a passport and got it successfully processed. If you look at Tier 2 dependent child application, it has an option that reads - Never had a passport because the child was born in the UK.

Ohhhh, wasn't aware this was possible. I'd have applied for my kid if I knew this was an option.
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.

ljager
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by ljager » Mon May 28, 2018 10:37 am

gag285 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:55 pm

Thank you so much for your help gag285! I've followed your advice and hope it's successful.