ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 General Switching to BNO Visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

twk971
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Tier 2 General Switching to BNO Visa

Post by twk971 » Sun May 16, 2021 9:56 am

Hello,

I am currently holding a Tier 2 General Visa and it will expire in Oct 2022. I was wondering if I could switch to the BNO Visa such that I don't need sponsorship anymore, in case I need to change job before Oct 2022.

My questions are as follow:

1. I am a BNO Passport holder but my wife and children are not - My wife is holding the HKSAR passport, my children were born in Canada and UK, and we are also Canadians. Are we eligible to apply?

2. If I applied for the BNO visa and is rejected, will this jeopardise my Tier2 status?

3. If BNO Visa status is granted, will I be able to switch to ILR by Oct 2022?

Thank you very much for your help, truly appreciated.

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Tier 2 General Switching to BNO Visa

Post by manci » Mon May 17, 2021 1:28 pm

Once you switch to the BNO visa you will no longer need sponsorship to work
1. I am a BNO Passport holder but my wife and children are not - My wife is holding the HKSAR passport, my children were born in Canada and UK, and we are also Canadians. Are we eligible to apply?
Your dependants can apply the same time as you and they can be of any nationality.
2. If I applied for the BNO visa and is rejected, will this jeopardise my Tier2 status?
No
3. If BNO Visa status is granted, will I be able to switch to ILR by Oct 2022?
Yes, provided that is the date when you would have become eligible for ILR under T2G. The actual rule is:
HK 62.1. The applicant must have spent a continuous period of 5 years with permission in the UK on a route under which a person can settle, of which the most recent grant of permission must have been on the Hong Kong BN(O) route.

Refer also to the full caseworker guidance:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .0-ext.pdf
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

twk971
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by twk971 » Thu May 20, 2021 11:52 am

Thank you very much for your prompt response, truly appreciated.

Additional question:
We paid IHS for 5 years when we first applied the Tier2 Gen visa, do we still need to pay IHS when we switch to BNO Visa?

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 20, 2021 12:05 pm

You need to pay the IHS for the BNO visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.