ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 Visa Employment Approached by New Employer - How do I switch?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

meganferinga3
Newly Registered
United States of America

Tier 2 Visa Employment Approached by New Employer - How do I switch?

Post by meganferinga3 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:36 pm

Hi all,

I am currently working in the UK as a reporter/production assistant on a Tier 2 general visa sponsorship. I am from the United States, completed my Masters in the UK and received Tier 2 general sponsorship upon graduation. My sponsorship with this company runs out in December, but I have been approached by another company in the UK (with offices in the US) for another job that would start as soon as possible.

Am I allowed to cancel an ongoing contract/visa with one company in the UK and move to another without penalty? Does that require going home? Would it be easier for me to go home and to then apply for an overseas employee visa scheme instead as they have offices in the US but they want me to work in the UK? They want me to work freelance for the first few months, then have a fulltime job with them in the future. I'm not sure what the rules and regulations are, and I am very lost, but this is a job I would absolutely love to have and would hate to let slip through my fingers.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

lolo2
Venezuela

Re: Tier 2 Visa Employment Approached by New Employer - How do I switch?

Post by lolo2 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:27 pm

There is no penalty for changing employer/sponsor. You can switch employers at any time, you only need to complete the same process as the first time: getting a CoS, to pay the fees, IHS, send the application, etc., just be sure to submit your application before your current leave expires.

You can do everything within the UK, no need to go to your country.

Not sure how they want you to be a freelance if they are sponsoring you. A freelance is by definition a self-employed person, and you cannot be a self-employee under the SW route.