ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier2 General - Tier2 Dependant question

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

abby2019
Newly Registered
United States of America

Tier2 General - Tier2 Dependant question

Post by abby2019 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:49 am

If I still have a valid Dependant Tier2 visa which shows validity for 3 more years, but I have another Tier2 Employer-sponsored visa which is valid now for 4 years still
Is my old Dependant Tier 2 one deactivated? Can I work with it? I want to switch jobs, now but the new company does not have a license for Employer-sponsored visa - so they are asking me to join with the old visa while they work out the license for the Tier2 sponsorship. Afterward, they will apply. So is it allowed, by HMRC?
Can I change employer now and work on the old tier2 dependant visa - or will my spouse need to re-apply for me as Dependant again to switch?
Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier2 General - Tier2 Dependant question

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:35 am

If I still have a valid Dependant Tier2 visa which shows validity for 3 more years, but I have another Tier2 Employer-sponsored visa which is valid now for 4 years still
Is my old Dependant Tier 2 one deactivated?

Your tier 2 dependent visa would have been cancelled when your tier 2 general visa was issued. You cannot hold two different visas/categories at the same time.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... eave-ecb22
Can I work with it?

No you cannot work somewhere else on your tier 2 dependent visa, it has been cancelled.
I want to switch jobs, now but the new company does not have a license for Employer-sponsored visa - so they are asking me to join with the old visa while they work out the license for the Tier2 sponsorship. Afterward, they will apply. So is it allowed, by HMRC?
You are not permitted to work for any other employer as you ONLY hold a Tier 2 General visa. You can only work for your tier 2 sponsor as your main job. If you want to switch jobs, you need to apply and be granted a new tier 2 general visa BEFORE you start working for the new sponsoring employer. HMRC is the tax authority. HO/UKVI is the immigration authority.
Can I change employer now and work on the old tier2 dependant visa - or will my spouse need to re-apply for me as Dependant again to switch?
1. No you cannot, you no longer hold a valid Tier 2 dependent visa.

2. You would need to apply for a new tier 2 dependent visa if you want the freedom to work for any employer.

Note that each time you have switched visa categories, your qualifying time for ILR based on 5 years residence has been reset to zero.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

abby2019
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Tier2 General - Tier2 Dependant question

Post by abby2019 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:30 pm

Thanks for the information this was helpful