ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for Tier 4 from USA - complex: deferred

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

CherinUK
Newly Registered

Application for Tier 4 from USA - complex: deferred

Post by CherinUK » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:55 pm

Hi All

I hope someone has some advice.

My partner made an application to come to London from the USA to study a masters degrees starting in January 2021.

He is ex military so he is receiving finance from the US government.

The application we pretty straight forward - he applied for the masters, was accepted, the deposit was waived by the university on the basis that the government was covering his costs fully (and they had a certificate from the government confirming this), he received a CAS, completed the application, travelled to Houston to submit his biometrics, posted his application to New York for processing and paid an additional 800 for a 5 day service as well as a pre paid UPS postage for the return on his passport and documents.

I think that as he is from the US he doesn't have to proof financial eligibility.

On the 11th December he received an email saying that the application was received but that it was not going to be processed in the time we had paid for. The cut and paste from the email is:

"Thank you for applying for a UK visa. Your visa application has been received and is under consideration. We aim to process non settlement applications within 15 working days (unless you have opted for the Priority Visa service), and settlement applications within 60 working days.

Unfortunately, the processing of your application has not been straightforward and we will be unable to decide your application within our customer service targets. We are continuing to work on your application and aim to make a decision as soon as possible"

I have a few questions:

1. the above paragraphs are contradicting themselves. the first states that the priority service time frame applies and then the second states that the application isn't straightforward so they need more time.

They haven't said what is complex/not straightforward. they haven't said how long they'll need. Has anyone seen this response before? I don't understand what is complex about this application.

2. will we get a refund for the 800 that was paid for the fast track?

3. Is there anyone we can call? I have tried that paid number (sitel i think) but they don't have any information. Ive scoured online but can't find any numbers that put us in contact with the decision makers. I just want to see what the heck the hold up is.

4. Apparently when he was making the application he was told that the visa would be issued in the UK (ie he would have to go to a UK office and have the vignette applied to the passport). If the application isn't decided before the new year, would he then be able to ask for his passport back (while the application was being considered) and come to the UK as a visitor (from 2 January) to prepare his housing etc and then just apply the
vignette once the application is processed (if its not refused).

His course starts on the 25 January so obviously there is a lot of stress trying to figure out what to do between now and then after having paid for the application to be processed quickly.

I look forward to any responses you guys have to help.

Kind regards

CherinUK

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Application for Tier 4 from USA - complex: deferred

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:18 pm

1. It is a generic email. Many get, across all visa applications. Simply means application will be taking longe.

2. Maybe.

3. You can't contact the decision makers directly and their contact details are not published. You only have the third party call centre.

4. No, that is not how it works. He needs the visa vignette in his passport BEFORE he travels to the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CherinUK
Newly Registered

Post by CherinUK » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:40 pm

ok thanks for the response.

So i understand that a lot of people get these email but I just want to know why? from an immigration rules perspective what would be complex about this?

he is an english speaker form in an english speaking country and he is exempt from the financial eligibility rules.

What else might make this complex?

Kind regards

CherinUK

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:48 am

CherinUK wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:40 pm
What else might make this complex?
Maybe the fact that he has a partner in the UK? Or that he is ex-military? Both make him a little more complex than your average international student, so I am not surprised his visa application needs a little more attention than normal.

But if he is a genuine student with no skeletons in his closet, neither matter should be a particular cause for concern. If they want to know more, they will ask him.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.