ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can Dependent extend visa???

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

babu_gk
Newly Registered
Mood:
Bangladesh

Can Dependent extend visa???

Post by babu_gk » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:07 pm

Hello
I have several qus.:

1.Can a student along with his/her Partner+Child under 18 (both as dependents) can apply for teir 4 student visa?

2.As dependent can work full time (as far I know), is it possible to extend visa through dependent's job even his/her pertner's student visa expires in the mean time?

3.If it is possible, is there any chance to end up with citizenship for the family in future?

Thanks.

vinny

Re: Can Dependent extend visa???

Post by vinny » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:09 am

1. Dependants may not switch to Tier 4, as 245ZX(b) and 245ZZC(b) fail.

2. No, as 319D(a) fails. However, dependant spouse may switch to Tier 2(General), if the requirements of 245HD are met. Then Tier 4 (student) holder and child may switch to being dependants of Tier 2 (General) holder, before leave expire.

3. Not without ILR.

Note that
Extending is applying for leave to remain in the same category.
Switching is applying for leave to remain in a different category.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

SamTiger
Mood:
India

Post by SamTiger » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:22 am

I think vinny's reply says all. Let me try to answer you in simple terms.

Your questions show you need to get thorough understanding of Tier 4 visa procedure.

A dependent cannot extend visa on their own, if your visa gets extended, theirs will get extended too.

Tier 4 visa is for a student who has been offered admission in an UK university. If you plan to bring wife and child, they'll be termed Tier 4 Dependents. (Only if your course is more than a year you can bring dependents, I think.)

Your partner is allowed to work full time as long as your Tier 4 leave is given. No way your partner can apply for extension, as he/she is still termed a Tier 4 dependent. If you switch over to another course, her visa validity will be extended.

Put it simple, your partner has been given visa based on yours but not on the work he/she has taken. Again I say, if your visa extends, then theirs too. You are the main applicant.

Getting citizenship is based on your visa and time spent in UK. Right now, 10 years required for ILR, long residency route. First you need ILR and then only citizenship. It won't happen automatically, you need to prove your worth and get a sponsor for CoS.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:36 am

SamTiger wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:22 am
I think vinny's reply says all. Let me try to answer you in simple terms.

Your questions show you need to get thorough understanding of Tier 4 visa procedure.

A dependent cannot extend visa on their own, if your visa gets extended, theirs will get extended too.

Tier 4 visa is for a student who has been offered admission in an UK university. If you plan to bring wife and child, they'll be termed Tier 4 Dependents. (Only if your course is more than a year you can bring dependents, I think.)

Your partner is allowed to work full time as long as your Tier 4 leave is given. No way your partner can apply for extension, as he/she is still termed a Tier 4 dependent. If you switch over to another course, her visa validity will be extended.

Put it simple, your partner has been given visa based on yours but not on the work he/she has taken. Again I say, if your visa extends, then theirs too. You are the main applicant.

Getting citizenship is based on your visa and time spent in UK. Right now, 10 years required for ILR, long residency route. First you need ILR and then only citizenship. It won't happen automatically, you need to prove your worth and get a sponsor for CoS.
You have misunderstood the OPs intent. They aren't asking if the dependent can extend their current visa on their own.

Vinny has given the correct advice to the member's questions. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

SamTiger
Mood:
India

Post by SamTiger » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:40 pm

:shock: :oops: :? :roll: