ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I setup a self defense school as a Tier 4 PBS Dependent?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ericosunbor
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Can I setup a self defense school as a Tier 4 PBS Dependent?

Post by ericosunbor » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:56 pm

I moved to the UK 9 months ago and I’ve been looking for advise on wether or not I can set up a self defense school within my community.

It’s more of an after school activity club for kids. I’d had a number of request to offer this service within my community.

I had been running a school for some years before my recent relocation, so it’s been a little difficult for me to just stop that part of my life.

I am a Shotokan Karate 2nd degree black belt who is a lifelong student of the martial arts. Whilst Karate may be considered a sport now that it’s been in the olympics, my focus for personal study and student instruction is self defense. As a result, I have developed a curriculum for unarmed self defense for 1vs.1 and 1vs.Many where the fight cannot be avoided.

1) Would I be breaking any rules if I continued my studies (Karate, BJJ, and Jodo), and if I began to instruct kids in self defense using the curriculum I’ve developed.

2) How would you advise me to begin to set up shop?

3) As I pursue rank advancement in BJJ, in what way can I avoid breaking the rules attached to my Visa? For example, should I avoid all trapping competitions all together?

vinny

Re: Can I setup a self defense school as a Tier 4 PBS Dependent?

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:40 pm

ST 39.3.(b)(iii) may prevent you from being a sports coach, unless an exemption applies.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ericosunbor
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by ericosunbor » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:23 pm

vinny wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:40 pm
ST 39.3.(b)(iii) may prevent you from being a sports coach, unless an exemption applies.

Thank you Vinny, I saw that earlier.
Do you think teaching self defense would be defined as teaching / coaching sport?

Do you happen to have have the definition of “sports”, not sportsperson. Can you share with me please?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:41 am

Some people do think that there is a difference between sports and self defense. However, they may also share things in common. You have to convince the Home Office that you are not violating the conditions of leave. Prepare your defence well.

BJJ
Karate
Judo, Street Survival.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.