ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cannot extend my BRP with my course extension

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cybersgk
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Cannot extend my BRP with my course extension

Post by cybersgk » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:19 pm

I am studying for MSc which was supposed to finish in September but due to my resit, my dissertation was extended to December. With the new Graduate route, I could have applied for it after my results are out and could work for 2 years. But the problem is my original BRP ends in January 4 months from my original course end date (September). I tried asking my university if I could extend my BRP w.r.to my new end date but they said according to new UK rules I cannot apply for an extension unless my BRP ends before my course end date. Now my results will only come out after my BRP ends and then I would not be able to apply for the Graduate route as I have to apply when I am staying in the UK with my tier 4 visa. On top of this, I signed an agreement with a company for a 2-year contract job and also a 6-month rent contract near my new job. Now I do not know what I should do. I want to be able to stay in this country as I planned my life based on this 2-year stay back. Are there others going through the same problem? What steps should I take? Anyone help!!!

lolo2
Venezuela

Re: Cannot extend my BRP with my course extension

Post by lolo2 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:20 pm

This topic has been discussed a number of times before here: you don't get an extension on your visa if you fail a module, have to resit or have to submit your dissertation at a later time due to the former.

One thing you can do is submitting your dissertation well ahead of the deadline, let's say this month, and then talk to your programme coordinator about your situation, so they hopefully can help you on getting the results before your visa expires. Then you can apply for the Graduate route.

I am not sure how you got a 2-year contract without having the right to work beyond your Student visa. As you can see, the Graduate route is not guaranteed or automatic to everyone on a Student visa.

Jsc1234
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by Jsc1234 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:22 pm

cybersgk wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:19 pm
I am studying for MSc which was supposed to finish in September but due to my resit, my dissertation was extended to December. With the new Graduate route, I could have applied for it after my results are out and could work for 2 years. But the problem is my original BRP ends in January 4 months from my original course end date (September). I tried asking my university if I could extend my BRP w.r.to my new end date but they said according to new UK rules I cannot apply for an extension unless my BRP ends before my course end date. Now my results will only come out after my BRP ends and then I would not be able to apply for the Graduate route as I have to apply when I am staying in the UK with my tier 4 visa. On top of this, I signed an agreement with a company for a 2-year contract job and also a 6-month rent contract near my new job. Now I do not know what I should do. I want to be able to stay in this country as I planned my life based on this 2-year stay back. Are there others going through the same problem? What steps should I take? Anyone help!!!
Hey! have you heard back on this and tried speaking to your uni about extensions?

cybersgk
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by cybersgk » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:51 pm

Jsc1234 wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:22 pm

Hey! have you heard back on this and tried speaking to your uni about extensions?
Ya looks like my university is working on a fix for this. And it's a high chance it will work because we are one of the first students to go through this.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:01 am

cybersgk wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:19 pm
On top of this, I signed an agreement with a company for a 2-year contract job and also a 6-month rent contract near my new job. Now I do not know what I should do. I want to be able to stay in this country as I planned my life based on this 2-year stay back.
Why can't the employer sponsor you for a Skilled worker visa instead?
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.