ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change programme

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

user615
Newly Registered
United States of America

Tier 4 visa extension

Post by user615 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:13 pm

Hello. I started my course in 2018. It’s a 3 year undergraduate course. I’ll be transferring to integrated Master's course in the same subject next year and would need to apply for visa extension from within the UK. I have a few queries as below:

1. Is a credibility interview likely for a Tier 4 visa extension?

2. I had a 6 year gap when I didn’t study but worked in 2 different companies. When I originally applied for visa, I was asked about the gap and explained it. I also submitted the work experience letters. Is it possible that I’ll be questioned again about the gap? Should I submit the work experience letters this time as well even though it’s not mandatory?

3. I have had 2 resits until now due to my bad health. As a result my overall grade is low. Can it affect the outcome of visa application?

4. If my visa extension application is refused, would I be able to finish my current course?

Thanks

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 4 visa extension

Post by sah10406 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:07 am

user615 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:13 pm
It’s a 3 year undergraduate course. I’ll be transferring to integrated Master's course in the same subject next year and would need to apply for visa extension from within the UK
Because you say "transferring", and from your question number 4, it seems you are switching to a new course before completing the current one. This normally means you can only make a new Tier 4 application in your home country, not in the UK. This is because a Tier 4 application you make in the UK must have "academic progression" (or exemption from it) confirmed on the CAS, and academic progress means, inter alia, that you have successfully completed the course for which your current Tier 4 leave was granted.

I recommend checking this with the international student adviser at your university before planning any further for your application.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

user615
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by user615 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:50 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:07 am
Because you say "transferring", and from your question number 4, it seems you are switching to a new course before completing the current one. This normally means you can only make a new Tier 4 application in your home country, not in the UK. This is because a Tier 4 application you make in the UK must have "academic progression" (or exemption from it) confirmed on the CAS, and academic progress means, inter alia, that you have successfully completed the course for which your current Tier 4 leave was granted.

I recommend checking this with the international student adviser at your university before planning any further for your application.
Thanks sah for your reply. In the Tier 4 policy guidance on page 78, point 337 says that I can meet the academic progression requirement if I’m progressing from Bachelor’s to Integrated Master’s. Do you think it’s sufficient? If so, can you please reply to my original queries?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:19 am

user615 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:50 pm
In the Tier 4 policy guidance on page 78, point 337 says that I can meet the academic progression requirement if I’m progressing from Bachelor’s to Integrated Master’s. Do you think it’s sufficient?
Yes, if the university confirms on your CAS that this is the scenario, and that you meet the Academic Progress requirement.

Your other questions are about your credibility and your academic suitability for the course, and these are matters for the university to consider when deciding whether to sponsor you and issue a CAS. If you have concerns about these matters, you need to speak to the university directly.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

user615
Newly Registered
United States of America

Change programme

Post by user615 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:07 am

Hello. I’m studying BSc with placement year course and the course duration is 4 years. I’ve applied to change to BSc without placement year.

As it is likely to be reported to the Home office, will this affect my visa during my studies or after the course completion? I’ve read contradictory articles on it though most suggested that it should affect the visa after the course completion. Thanks

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Change programme

Post by sah10406 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:36 pm

user615 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:07 am
I’m studying BSc with placement year course and the course duration is 4 years. I’ve applied to change to BSc without placement year.
Wait, in your previous post you said:
user615 wrote:
[I'm studying] a 3 year undergraduate course. I’ll be transferring to integrated Master's course in the same subject next year
Which is it?

user615
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by user615 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:10 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:36 pm
user615 wrote:
I’m studying BSc with placement year course and the course duration is 4 years. I’ve applied to change to BSc without placement year.
Wait, in your previous post you said:
user615 wrote:
[I'm studying] a 3 year undergraduate course. I’ll be transferring to integrated Master's course in the same subject next year
Which is it?
Apologies for the confusion. Initially it was a BSc with placement year course. But I’ve changed to BSc without placement year as it was cancelled due to COVID-19. I didn’t mention it in original post to keep the query to the point.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:29 pm

If your course ends a year earlier than planned, your visa will be curtailed accordingly.