ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

changing from tier 2 general to tier 4 - ihs refund

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ladyp
Newly Registered
Turkey

changing from tier 2 general to tier 4 - ihs refund

Post by ladyp » Mon May 06, 2019 11:31 pm

Hi, I am due to start a PhD this fall in the UK and will need to change from Tier 2 (General) to Tier 4 as it is full-time study. I am currently working in the UK and got my visa valid until 2022 - meaning I paid immigration health surcharge for 5 years when I applied.

I'm wondering if I will be due a refund since I have already paid for the next 3 years - but meanwhile the surcharge doubled. All input appreciated, thank you.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: changing from tier 2 general to tier 4 - ihs refund

Post by sah10406 » Tue May 07, 2019 6:55 am

ladyp wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:31 pm
I'm wondering if I will be due a refund since I have already paid for the next 3 years
Yes. See https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... on/refunds
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

ladyp
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by ladyp » Tue May 07, 2019 12:16 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:55 am
[
ladyp wrote:
I'm wondering if I will be due a refund since I have already paid for the next 3 years
Yes. See https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... on/refunds
Thank you for the reply. I've seen this but it's still not clear to me as it states:
You will not get a refund if:
[...]
you leave the UK before your visa ends, for example to make a new application
From here I understand that if I make my application outside of the UK (which is cheaper in fees) I will not be getting a refund, but the case where I apply for a switch in the UK is not outlined.

Do you have an idea what happens in that case?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:28 pm

ladyp wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:16 pm
Do you have an idea what happens in that case?
In that case the IHS is not refunded. You may want to do a comparison of the actual costs of applying outside the UK, including costs of travel and making a new IHS payment with no refund of the overlap.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

ladyp
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by ladyp » Tue May 07, 2019 1:18 pm

Thank you! So if I apply for a switch within the UK, it will be refunded, is that right? (that's what I couldn't find confirmation for)

I've also paid the full fees for Tier 2 before they increased the rates. So I paid 200£ per year (times 5) and now I will need to pay 300£ per year (student fees). If I know they'll be giving me 200£ back I'll have an ease of mind paying the higher application fees and waiting longer but maybe it's not that straighforward.

Also my program is 1 + 3, which I guess means I will have to do this process twice, and all the money I paid for later years will not be considered in my later application.

Even funded, a PhD will be expensive it seems..

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:25 pm

ladyp wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:18 pm
So if I apply for a switch within the UK, it will be refunded, is that right? (that's what I couldn't find confirmation for)
It says on that gov.uk page

You’ll get a full IHS refund if:

you paid twice

vonka
Newly Registered
India

Post by vonka » Sat May 25, 2019 5:48 pm

ladyp wrote:
Hi, I am due to start a PhD this fall in the UK and will need to change from Tier 2 (General) to Tier 4 as it is full-time study. I am currently working in the UK and got my visa valid until 2022
Hi Ladyp, I am in the exact same situation. Would you mind if I got in contact with you? I'm unsure about some details of the visa application. Thanks.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:23 am

vonka wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:48 pm
Hi Ladyp, I am in the exact same situation. Would you mind if I got in contact with you? I'm unsure about some details of the visa application. Thanks.
No disrespect to OP, but if you need advice on your Tier 4 visa application you would benefit more from speaking to the international student adviser at your university.

ladyp
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by ladyp » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:52 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:23 am
vonka wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:48 pm
No disrespect to OP, but if you need advice on your Tier 4 visa application you would benefit more from speaking to the international student adviser at your university.
Oh I agree, the advisors at my university were quite helpful in my situation (after asking here I spoke extensively with them). Feel free to ask me though.

vonka
Newly Registered
India

Post by vonka » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:24 am

ladyp wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:52 pm
Oh I agree, the advisors at my university were quite helpful in my situation (after asking here I spoke extensively with them). Feel free to ask me though.
Thanks for responding! Sadly, the advisors at my university referred me to immigration lawyers.

I am just trying to decide how to proceed, and would appreciate if you could share your experience with me.
+When did you let your employer know? before or after applying or getting the visa.
+How did you apply (8 weeks or fast-service)?
+How was the visa change implemented? was your T2 visa immediately cancelled when the T4 was granted? Or did the switch become effective on the start date in your CAS?
+When did you stop working? was that date decided by the home office? e.g., you could no longer work once the T4 was granted. Or just the start date on your CAS?

Thanks!!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:32 am

Your questions are not about an IHS refund, so this should probably be merged into your existing topic at uk-tier-4-student-visas/switch-from-tie ... 82003.html where these questions were already asked and answered.
vonka wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:24 am
+How was the visa change implemented? was your T2 visa immediately cancelled when the T4 was granted? Or did the switch become effective on the start date in your CAS?
The former. New leave supersedes old leave. Your CAS start date is irrelevant.
vonka wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:24 am
+When did you stop working? was that date decided by the home office? e.g., you could no longer work once the T4 was granted. Or just the start date on your CAS?
Tier 4 work conditions would apply, which do not allow work before the course starts.

vonka
Newly Registered
India

Post by vonka » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:36 am

Thank you sah10406 for your response. I asked just in case the experience of ladyp had been any different.

One last question if I may. If I apply with the regular 8-week service, would I be able to work under my Tier 2 while I wait for the T4 decision? The gov.uk website says I can stay in the UK, but it does not say that I can work...

Thanks again

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:39 am

vonka wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:36 am
Thank you sah10406 for your response. I asked just in case the experience of ladyp had been any different.

One last question if I may. If I apply with the regular 8-week service, would I be able to work under my Tier 2 while I wait for the T4 decision? The gov.uk website says I can stay in the UK, but it does not say that I can work...

Thanks again
Your existing tier 2 visa conditions continue while HO processes your tier 4 application, so yes, you can continue working for your tier 2 sponsor until your tier 4 is approved/issued/granted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vonka
Newly Registered
India

Post by vonka » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:00 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:39 am
Your existing tier 2 visa conditions continue while HO processes your tier 4 application, so yes, you can continue working for your tier 2 sponsor until your tier 4 is approved/issued/granted.
Thank you!