ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does a research assistant position require Tier 4, Tier 2, or Tier 5?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

aenic
Newly Registered
United States of America

Does a research assistant position require Tier 4, Tier 2, or Tier 5?

Post by aenic » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Hi,

I am an American citizen currently on a Tier 4 Student Visa as I am doing my Master's here in the UK. I am interested in applying for research positions in the coming months as my classes are finished in March (but my program does not end until August). My Tier 4 does not expire until 30 January 2020. Is it likely (assuming I am qualified for the position, etc.) that I can be approved for these positions? Upon the expiration of my Tier 4 next January, would I be able to switch into a Tier 2, Tier 5, or extend a Tier 4?

I'd really appreciate any advice.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Does a research assistant position require Tier 4, Tier 2, or Tier 5?

Post by sah10406 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:36 pm

aenic wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm
Is it likely (assuming I am qualified for the position, etc.) that I can be approved for these positions?
Not before your course has finished, no. You (and the employer) are currently bound by the conditions of your Tier 4 visa, which only allow you to work more than 20 hours a week in vacations and in the gap between the formal end of your course and the end of your visa.
aenic wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm
Upon the expiration of my Tier 4 next January, would I be able to switch into a Tier 2, Tier 5, or extend a Tier 4?
In theory all are possible, but you could not switch into Tier 2 before finishing your course.

See UKCISA's guide to working after studies:
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information-- ... er-studies

and their guide to extending your Tier 4 leave for further studies:
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information-- ... -in-the-UK
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.