ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does MSc on Tier 2 count as academic progression for a Tier 4 visa on MBA?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kakaD
Newly Registered

Does MSc on Tier 2 count as academic progression for a Tier 4 visa on MBA?

Post by kakaD » Sun May 17, 2020 1:35 pm

Hi All,

Please I need some help... I finished a BSc (Hons) Information Technology on Tier 4 visa for 4 years, including a placement year (ended BSc in 2017), I then got sponsored on Tier 2 visa from 2017 to 2020. My visa is expiring in September 2020. During my current Tier 2 visa, I did a MSc in Cyber Security which I am due to submit my dissertation by August 2020. Given the Covid-19 situation, I am not certain that my employer would want to renew my Tier 2 visa, I am also applying for other employers for Tier 2 renewal but no responses yet, and some interviews cancelled due to the Pandemic. I intend switching to Tier 4 to do MBA.

Should I mention that I have studied a MSc on tier 2 during my new Tier 4 application? Also will the MBA be seen as academic progression from the MSc if the MSc is taken into consideration?

Thank you for your responses.

Kaka

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Does MSc on Tier 2 count as academic progression for a Tier 4 visa on MBA?

Post by sah10406 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:48 pm

kakaD wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:35 pm
Should I mention that I have studied a MSc on tier 2 during my new Tier 4 application?
As far as I know, the application form does not ask.
kakaD wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:35 pm
Also will the MBA be seen as academic progression from the MSc if the MSc is taken into consideration?
I think you have misread the requirement. See the Tier 4 policy applicant guidance, paragraph 335:

To meet the academic progression requirement, your new course must normally be above the level of the previous course for which you were given Tier 4 leave. For example, if your previous course was at RQF6 (and equivalents) your next course should be at least at level RQF7.

So a course you studied with a different type of leave does not come into any consideration of academic progress. Your sponsor will confirm on the CAS that you have academic progress because they will only be looking at the BSc in this context.

Separately, the CAS may list your MSc as the basis of the offer, and if so you would need to provide evidence of having achieved it, but that is a different matter from academic progress
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

kakaD
Newly Registered

Re: Does MSc on Tier 2 count as academic progression for a Tier 4 visa on MBA?

Post by kakaD » Sun May 17, 2020 1:59 pm

Thank you Sah, this is much appreciated.

I actually misread that bit … "for which you were given Tier 4 leave."

Thanks a lot again.