ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Failed to notify police of address change

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nadiababess
Newly Registered

Failed to notify police of address change

Post by nadiababess » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:26 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of extending my Tier 4 General - as i chose a placement path and need to finish off the last year of my degree.

Unfortunately it came to light that i failed to report my change of address to the police. When enrolling into my second year the adviser that was enrolling me told me i did not have to. Year has passed and I did go and change my address to another new one as i was on a work placement. And obviously now one address is missing.

My fault for not double checking but what would be my next actions?

As I'm applying for a visa extension, i do not want to deceive the HO or anything. So i guess i should go to the police station and tell them situation and put the missing address in (i understand they may give me a warning)?

After i add the address on, how much would it affect the application decision? and would i still need to enclose a cover letter explaining with my application?

Ive been in the UK for nearly 9 years, since school.

Any advice on this would be helpful :)

Thank you!

aaliya1986
Member of Standing

Re: Failed to notify police of address change

Post by aaliya1986 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:29 pm

hi,

You must register with the police if you’re from:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen.

https://www.gov.uk/register-with-the-police

nadiababess
Newly Registered

Post by nadiababess » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:16 pm

aaliya1986 wrote:hi,

You must register with the police if you’re from:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen.

https://www.gov.uk/register-with-the-police
Hey,
I've already been registered on multiple visas and failed to notify of change of address that one time so now missing it on the form.

Thank you anyway :)

nadiababess
Newly Registered

Post by nadiababess » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:17 pm

UPDATE:

Police officer was very nice and helpful, although couldn't put the missing address on the police registration certificate as I've moved since then.

What would be my next action when applying for the extension?

I believe i need a cover letter stating why i have failed to notify my address change. Can anyone help on this?

Thank you

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:05 pm

If you breached your visa conditions (including the Police Registration condition), it adds risk to your application. However, as risks go, this is a fairly minor one.

Advise you attach a note to your certificate, explaining what information is missing and why, and apologising.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

nadiababess
Newly Registered

Post by nadiababess » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:22 am

sah10406 wrote:If you breached your visa conditions (including the Police Registration condition), it adds risk to your application. However, as risks go, this is a fairly minor one.

Advise you attach a note to your certificate, explaining what information is missing and why, and apologising.
Yes, i understand that now, thank you!
Do you know if such letter needs to be signed/approved by a solicitor or anything?

Thank you in advance!

PS. if anyone has been in the same situation, let me know what you've done & what the results were, it would be very helpful!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:14 am

nadiababess wrote: Do you know if such letter needs to be signed/approved by a solicitor or anything?
The letter is not required, so there is no guidance on what it should contain. It is just something you might want to add, to explain your breach.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

maxflip50

Post by maxflip50 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:17 pm

No letter required

Now Just go to police staion and tell you changed your address yesterday and they put stamp on police reg certificate

Then you apply for extension as normal
No problem will occur

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:19 pm

maxflip50 wrote:No letter required

Now Just go to police staion and tell you changed your address yesterday and they put stamp on police reg certificate

No problem will occur
You have not read the thread properly. OP has explained that it is not her current address that is missing, but her previous address. Plus, suggesting that she lies to the police (and then again on the immigration application presumably) is terrible advice.

nadiababess
Newly Registered

Post by nadiababess » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:29 pm

sah10406 wrote:
maxflip50 wrote:No letter required

No problem will occur
You have not read the thread properly. OP has explained that it is not her current address that is missing, but her previous address. Plus, suggesting that she lies to the police (and then again on the immigration application presumably) is terrible advice.
Yeah the issue is that I didn't notify them of one time that I moved houses.
I have no intention to deceive the HO or anything so I will just provide a letter explaining my situation. I would have moved twice, so hopefully it wouldnt be a massive problem as I have learnt my lesson now and have been notifying police with my address since that mistake.

Thank you so much for your input guys!

Florvid92
Newly Registered

Post by Florvid92 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:03 am

nadiababess wrote:UPDATE:

Police officer was very nice and helpful, although couldn't put the missing address on the police registration certificate as I've moved since then.

What would be my next action when applying for the extension?

I believe i need a cover letter stating why i have failed to notify my address change. Can anyone help on this?

Thank you

Hi,

Do you have any update on this? Did it affect your visa application? Did the police officer not say you could be arrested or pay a fine up to £5,000 when you said you missed one address?

I've been living in the UK for 2 years and failed to register my past address. Now I moved to a new one and found the certificate and remembered I have to do it but I'm scared to go to the police and notify them of my new adress and then be fined or go to jail for having failed the previous one. I also have a job offer for when I finish so I want to progress to a Tier 2 visa in 1 year time, will this affect my application? Did you get a stamp or did they inform the UKBA?

Thanks!

heatherz
Newly Registered

Post by heatherz » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:54 am

Hi! :)

Was just wondering if you have passed your application? I have one address missing as well and the police has written late notice on my current address as I have just went in. Please any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Did you enclose a letter to explain the situation?

Thank you

rduarte88
Newly Registered

Post by rduarte88 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi, the same is happening to me. I just realised my previous address (which I haven't lived for nearly 2 years) was never registered in my police certificate! I went to the OVRO today and the manager said that they cannot retrospectively add a previous address - not even if I was with the tenancy agreement corresponding to that date in hands. If you guys have any update on your visa requests, please let us know.

I will know of the outcome of my next visa in a couple of weeks and will let others know. (And I'll take bills and the previous tenancy agreement for that property for my visa interview, together with a letter explaining why I forgot to have my police certificate stamped.. This is so scary!)

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:00 pm

rduarte88 wrote:I will know of the outcome of my next visa in a couple of weeks and will let others know. (And I'll take bills and the previous tenancy agreement for that property for my visa interview, together with a letter explaining why I forgot to have my police certificate stamped.. This is so scary!)
At least you didn't compound the problem by lying about your previous addresses to try to make the form match the certificate, which some people seem to think is a good idea!

andtonic
Newly Registered
China

Post by andtonic » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi, I am currently in a similar situation and panicking. I forgot to register with the local police station in the past three years and found out recently I needed the certificate for the Doctorate Extension Scheme. I was threatened and frightened by the police officer yesterday when I went in to update my certificate. She did update my current address with some 'late register' marking and she also wrote 'two addressed not reported'... She frightened me when she said she's gonna report to the Home Office and I might get a fine or even worse 'deported'. Now I am truly worried about my visa extension and even about finishing my degree if I got deported... I am really panicking now. Has anyone had this kind of experience?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:43 pm

andtonic wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:30 pm
Now I am truly worried about my visa extension and even about finishing my degree if I got deported... I am really panicking now. Has anyone had this kind of experience?
It's highly unlikely to affect anything. Speak to the international student adviser at your university.

andtonic
Newly Registered
China

Post by andtonic » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:47 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:43 pm
andtonic wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:30 pm
Now I am truly worried about my visa extension and even about finishing my degree if I got deported... I am really panicking now. Has anyone had this kind of experience?
It's highly unlikely to affect anything. Speak to the international student adviser at your university.
Thank you.

Zanyar
Newly Registered
Mood:
Iraq

Post by Zanyar » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:32 am

Hi there,

I hade a similar problem. I have been living at my current address for nearly 2.5 years, and I had no idea that I had to report to the Police each time I change my address. Last week I wanted to switch from a Tier 2 to a Tier 4 Visa, and one of the required documents was the Police Registration Certificate. I checked the document and it still had my old address on it, when I first came to the UK. I freaked out as the certificate says, you should report any changes within 7 days, otherwise, you could face 6 months imprisonment, or up to £5000 fine :shock: :shock: :| :| . I wend to a police station this morning to change the address. I thought it would take ages to explain why failed to report this change sooner, but everything went very smoothly, and they did not even ask why I had not come sooner?!. Next week I am going to apply for the Tier 2 visa and will keep you updated if my application is affected by this.

Thank you

Zanyar
Newly Registered
Mood:
Iraq

Post by Zanyar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:36 am

Zanyar wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:32 am
Hi there,

I hade a similar problem. I have been living at my current address for nearly 2.5 years...
Just to give you an update on this. My application to switch from Tier 4 to Tier 2 was successful and that delay in reporting my "new" address to the police was not a problem at all. So don't worry.

Cheers.

Alvaro93
Newly Registered
Peru

Post by Alvaro93 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:21 pm

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation, I arrived at the UK in September honestly didn't know that I needed to register with the local police up until two days ago, I went and did my registration process but the lady at the station added "Advised reporting condition" in red pen on the certificate. I am not sure what this means and I am freaking out because I don't know if that means that I could be fined or worse.

Thanks for any advice.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:01 am

Alvaro93 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:21 pm
the lady at the station added "Advised reporting condition" in red pen on the certificate. I am not sure what this means and I am freaking out because I don't know if that means that I could be fined or worse.
It means she advised you about your condition to register with the police, which you had previously been in breach of.

It is unlikely to have any effect on your current leave or on any future leave to remain application, but it could in theory affect an entry clearance application. See this topic about the same issue for more details:

uk-tier-4-student-visas/forgot-to-updat ... r#p1494902

Best get advice from the international student adviser at your university.