ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Forgot to update my police registration. What now?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

CloudyNow
Turkey

Forgot to update my police registration. What now?

Post by CloudyNow » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:02 am

I registered within 7 days of entering the UK as required in 2014. In 2015 my passport expired, I got a new passport and I moved to a new address. My university was notified of all of these changes but I completely forgot about police registration. When I was tidying my room yesterday I found my registration certificate and it says in the fine print that I ought to notify them of such changes within 7 days, and failure to do so may result in a £5000 fine or 6 months imprisonment. I made a stupid but innocent mistake and I'll make sure I never repeat that again. What should I do?

vinny

Re: Forgot to update my police registration. What now?

Post by vinny » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:13 am

Update now.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

CloudyNow
Turkey

Post by CloudyNow » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:03 pm

vinny wrote:Update now.
Will I get into trouble now?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:23 pm

CloudyNow wrote:
vinny wrote:Update now.
Will I get into trouble now?
Maybe, probably not, but doing nothing is worse.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

CloudyNow
Turkey

Post by CloudyNow » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:41 am

Update: I went to the police today with my new details; the police officer was very kind and helpful. I live in a student city so I guess that helps - it felt like she was familiar with clumsy university students forgetting their bureaucratic obligations! So problem solved with no issues whatsoever.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:06 pm

That's good news. Although there is also some bad news if you are planning future any UK immigration applications.

Any failure to adhere to your immigration conditions is a ground for refusal of a future immigration application.

For a leave to remain application, it is a discretionary refusal under paragraph 322. In practice, a matter-of-fact explanation and apology attached to the new application would normally be enough for it to be disregarded, but you might want to get immigration advice on how to do it. Do not try to conceal your failure to register with the police, for example by giving untrue dates for your addresses, because this can itself lead to a mandatory refusal on the grounds of false representations or a failure to disclose material facts.

For an entry clearance application it is more serious. A person who has previously breached immigration laws and who was 18 or over on the date of the most recent breach will have future entry clearance applications refused for periods of between 12 months and 10 years under paragraph 320(7B). This is a mandatory refusal, not discretionary!
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

CloudyNow
Turkey

Post by CloudyNow » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:51 pm

sah10406 wrote:That's good news. Although there is also some bad news if you are planning future any UK immigration applications.

Any failure to adhere to your immigration conditions is a ground for refusal of a future immigration application.

For a leave to remain application, it is a discretionary refusal under paragraph 322. In practice, a matter-of-fact explanation and apology attached to the new application would normally be enough for it to be disregarded, but you might want to get immigration advice on how to do it. Do not try to conceal your failure to register with the police, for example by giving untrue dates for your addresses, because this can itself lead to a mandatory refusal on the grounds of false representations or a failure to disclose material facts.

For an entry clearance application it is more serious. A person who has previously breached immigration laws and who was 18 or over on the date of the most recent breach will have future entry clearance applications refused for periods of between 12 months and 10 years under paragraph 320(7B). This is a mandatory refusal, not discretionary!
I was completely honest to the police officer, she just registered my new details and told me not to neglect this in future as it may have implications on my future visa applications. I thought this meant that my negligence will be treated as an innocent mistake and I don't need to acknowledge it in any application I make. Testimony to my finding are countless threads made under this forum by people who were as stupid as me - their visas were granted without any complicatons.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:54 pm

CloudyNow wrote:Testimony to my finding are countless threads made under this forum by people who were as stupid as me - their visas were granted without any complicatons.
Yes, as I said in a leave to remain application it is usually easily disregarded with a simple explanation and apology.

CloudyNow
Turkey

Post by CloudyNow » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:41 pm

sah10406 wrote:
CloudyNow wrote:Testimony to my finding are countless threads made under this forum by people who were as stupid as me - their visas were granted without any complicatons.
Yes, as I said in a leave to remain application it is usually easily disregarded with a simple explanation and apology.
Is a Tier 4 extension a LTR application? I want to undertake postgraduate study so I was going to apply to extend my Tier 4 visa. Or should I just apply for a new Tier 4 from my home country so that I don't have to submit my PRC?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:51 pm

CloudyNow wrote:Is a Tier 4 extension a LTR application? I want to undertake postgraduate study so I was going to apply to extend my Tier 4 visa.
Yes.
CloudyNow wrote:Or should I just apply for a new Tier 4 from my home country so that I don't have to submit my PRC?
Absolutely not! The worst possible choice! See my previous reply. Again, a breach of conditions is only a discretionary ground for refusal for a leave to remain application, and as you have seen it is very highly likely to be disregarded, with your explanation and apology.

For an entry clearance (visa) application, a breach of conditions would mean a mandatory refusal.

msfed
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by msfed » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:04 pm

I moved to London in January and went to the Police to do my registration, everything on time.
Then, I moved to an apartment (before, I was in an air-bnb room) - but I was sub renting the room as the contract could only be renewed on April 1st. When the contract was signed, I was travelling in US due to a conference and when I arrived I had to travel again to Sweden to another conference. I went today to the Police Office and she was really unfriendly and scared me a lot! She told me that I might have to pay a fine of £1000 and even have my BRP and Visa withdrawn. I was so scared that I started to cry. She said she couldn't do anything for me and wrote on my certificate of registration: "late reporting changed address 01/03/2018". I am so sad and so worried! Some advises? Someone passed (or is passing) through the same situation? I am currently doing my PhD here but I would like to find a job after finishing it!
Thanks all!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:23 pm

See my replies to a previous query about the same thing above.

If you are still concerned, get advice from the International Student Adviser at your university.

msfed
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by msfed » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:32 pm

Yes, I read it all! But in the first case, the police did not write Late Reporting. In my case she did write! And I am also waiting for my Italian Passport that will probably be issue in two or three months! It will impact it also?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:35 pm

msfed wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:32 pm
And I am also waiting for my Italian Passport that will probably be issue in two or three months! It will impact it also?
That is a question for the Italian authorities.

carolinagm
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by carolinagm » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:22 pm

msfed wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:04 pm
I moved to London in January and went to the Police to do my registration, everything on time.
Then, I moved to an apartment (before, I was in an air-bnb room) - but I was sub renting the room as the contract could only be renewed on April 1st. When the contract was signed, I was travelling in US due to a conference and when I arrived I had to travel again to Sweden to another conference. I went today to the Police Office and she was really unfriendly and scared me a lot! She told me that I might have to pay a fine of £1000 and even have my BRP and Visa withdrawn. I was so scared that I started to cry. She said she couldn't do anything for me and wrote on my certificate of registration: "late reporting changed address 01/03/2018". I am so sad and so worried! Some advises? Someone passed (or is passing) through the same situation? I am currently doing my PhD here but I would like to find a job after finishing it!
Thanks all!

Hey! I'm going through similar situation. Had a register from my previous visa. Renewed it and entreter the uk in October and forgot to re register!! Haven't done so yet and your post got me really worried. I was going today but the office is closed.

But what do you mean by "might" have to pay and "might" have your visa withdrawn? Did she tell you if you would receive a letter from the home office with the update or something like that? If so did she tell you when you would know? Or did she tell you would HAVE to pay and would HAVE your current visa withdrawn? Also, is this London?

About your Italian passport I don't think it interferes so I wouldn't worry too much about that, I am very familiarised with the Italian citizenship process and as far as I know you're good on that.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:27 pm

carolinagm wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:22 pm
But what do you mean by "might" have to pay and "might" have your visa withdrawn? Did she tell you if you would receive a letter from the home office with the update or something like that? If so did she tell you when you would know? Or did she tell you would HAVE to pay and would HAVE your current visa withdrawn?
While it is technically a breach of your immigration conditions, action is rarely taken. For detailed advice, speak to the international student adviser at your university.

LucyChen
Newly Registered
China

Post by LucyChen » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:45 am

msfed wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:32 pm
Yes, I read it all! But in the first case, the police did not write Late Reporting. In my case she did write! And I am also waiting for my Italian Passport that will probably be issue in two or three months! It will impact it also?
Hi I am facing a similar issue atm, I was wondering if you could provide an update on your case? How did the HO respond in the end if they did so? Thank you so much!!!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:09 am

LucyChen wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:45 am
Hi I am facing a similar issue atm, I was wondering if you could provide an update on your case? How did the HO respond in the end if they did so? Thank you so much!!!
As a university student you have access to a free advice from professional immigration adviser with a lot of experience in student visa matters. I strongly urge you to seek advice from them.