ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration advice

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ryafa
Newly Registered
Singapore

Immigration advice

Post by Ryafa » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:22 pm

Hello. I’m looking to contact an immigration lawyer for advice on my student visa extension. Is whatever I discuss with the lawyer completely confidential?

In which cases can they disclose this information?

What should I look when looking for an immigration lawyer? For example reviews etc. I want to get advice from someone who is experienced.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Immigration advice

Post by sah10406 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:57 am

Does it really need a lawyer?

Student immigration applications are designed to not need legal support, and most universities have a dedicated international student adviser who is trained in supporting Student immigration applications.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Ryafa
Newly Registered
Singapore

Post by Ryafa » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:14 am

sah10406 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:57 am
Does it really need a lawyer?

Student immigration applications are designed to not need legal support, and most universities have a dedicated international student adviser who is trained in supporting Student immigration applications.
I need to discuss some issue with lawyer that concern the suitability requirements for visa application.

About the requirement of character and conduct, do they check the applicant’s name on some list not known to applicant? For example if the applicant reads a banned book online, could their name be on some list and would it be checked for the application?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:58 am

I think you must mean the General grounds for refusing a visa.

The Rules about that are here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... or-refusal

And the guidance for how caseworkers look at various matters is here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... d-guidance

The university is definitely the best place to start.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Ryafa
Newly Registered
Singapore

Post by Ryafa » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:17 am

I’m concerned about the rule that applicant’s presence is not desirable if due to character, conduct or association it’s not conducive to public good. Could it be used even if there is no conviction such as the case I described above?

I’m worried that the university may refuse to sponsor the application on the probability of refusal of application if it’s discussed with them.

Thanks.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:19 am

Ryafa wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:17 am
I’m worried that the university may refuse to sponsor the application on the probability of refusal of application if it’s discussed with them.
That would be highly unusual, and it would need to be an extremely serious matter. I do wonder if you are over-thinking this issue.

I note that you are from Singapore, and I wonder if you are projecting your home government's fairly notorious and heavy-handed approach to personal freedom onto the UK's government.