ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IVF treatment for my wife

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tihor
Newly Registered
India

IVF treatment for my wife

Post by tihor » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:07 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to know if there is any charges we need to pay to NHS for the IVF medical treatment for child birth whilst my friend's wife is on a dependant visa on Tier 4 student visa.

They have paid NHS surcharge when they came to UK last year.

Please advise
Regards
Tihor

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: IVF treatment for my wife

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:10 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:20 pm

tihor wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:07 pm
Hi all,

Just wanted to know if there is any charges we need to pay to NHS for the IVF medical treatment for child birth whilst my friend's wife is on a dependant visa on Tier 4 student visa.

They have paid NHS surcharge when they came to UK last year.

Please advise
Regards
Tihor
IVF isn't included in access to free treatment under the NHS.

"The National Health Service (Charges to Overseas Visitors) (Amendment) Regulations 2017 and Guidance on overseas visitors hospital charging regulations 2017 outline the following services in the NHS which are currently free of charge irrespective of country of normal residence.... family planning services (does not include the termination of pregnancy or infertility treatment)"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-entitle ... alth-guide

AND
"5.2. Payment of the health surcharge entitles the payer to NHS-funded healthcare on a similar basis as someone who is ordinarily resident. They are entitled to NHS services free at the point of use, including NHS hospital care, with, from 21 August 2017, the exception of assisted conception services (e.g. IVF) (see paragraph 5.16). They must also pay for services for which a UK ordinary resident must also pay,
such as dentistry and prescriptions in England, unless they also meet the particular
exemption criteria of those services

Assisted conception services
5.15 Since 21 August 2017, those exempt from charge under Regulation 10 (health surcharge arrangements) or 11 (transitional arrangements) are not exempt from charge in relation to assisted conception services.
5.16.Assisted conception services are defined in the Charging Regulations as any
medical, surgical or obstetric services provided for the purpose of assisting a person
to carry a child. Broadly speaking, this means any medicines, surgery or procedures
that are required to diagnose and treat infertility so a person can have a child. It
includes procedures such as intrauterine insemination (IUI), in vitro fertilisation (IVF)
and egg and sperm donation.
+

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ctober.pdf

The average cost of private IVF in the UK is around £5,000 per cycle of treatment.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

tihor
Newly Registered
India

Post by tihor » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:22 pm

Thank you