ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New Graduate Visa - what next after the 2 year work period?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MarthaM
Newly Registered
Zambia

New Graduate Visa - what next after the 2 year work period?

Post by MarthaM » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:34 pm

Hello All,
Can anybody shed some light on the new rules allowing graduates 2 years to work in the UK? I see that in 2021 a graduate will be allowed 2 years to do any type of work but not extendable beyond the 2 years. What I would like to know is, what happens after the two year period? I see that you can apply for a skilled job, but what are the conditions surrounding that? Do we still need a certificate of sponsorship?

Thank you.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: New Graduate Visa - what next after the 2 year work period?

Post by sah10406 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:53 am

MarthaM wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:34 pm
I see that you can apply for a skilled job, but what are the conditions surrounding that? Do we still need a certificate of sponsorship
You are asking about the detail of immigration rules that will be in place for skilled workers after summer 2023, and that is currently unknown. It is highly likely that there will be a new post-Brexit immigration system in place by then. For what the current government proposes for skilled workers route post-Brexit, see the White Paper published in December 2018:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ion-system

The proposed skilled worker route seems likely to be similar to the current Tier 2 scheme, but the fine detail remains to be seen.

Needless to say, it is also not known whether those switching from the as-yet not implemented Graduate route into as-yet unconfirmed skilled work route will benefit from the same advantages as those currently switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.