ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PSW to Student Dependant Switch

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

raheem_ehsan

PSW to Student Dependant Switch

Post by raheem_ehsan » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:38 pm

Dear Gurus,

I am asking these questions on behalf of one of my close friends. I would really appreciate your urgent help in this matter as he is very anxious with his current situation.
I will write as if he is writing here himself :)
--

Background:
- I am currently on PSW (graduate visa) and it will be expiring in August this year (2023).
- I have accepted a marriage proposal from my soon to be wife's parents. The marriage is settled with both of our consent as per our community customs back in India. We are planning on marrying over video call in next couple of weeks (I understand that it is not acceptable as per the UK law).
- My to be wife is planning on coming to the UK this coming month of May on student visa if everything goes well.
- Once she is here, we will register our marriage in the coucil ASAP.
- I will then apply to switch from PSW to student dependant visa before it expires in August.
[/list]

My questions are as follows:

1) Should my to be wife mention about our online marriage and intention of registering the marriage in the UK in her student application? Or should she avoid mentioning anything about marriage?
2) Will it become difficult to prove that our marriage is genuine if she omits the marriage details from her student application and only register it when she is here? Would it seem like a sham marriage since we would then only have known eachother for just a couple of month before I apply for dependant?
3) When I apply for the student dependant, how can I prove my subsisting marriage as I may not have the long list of documents apart from marriage certificate from the council. I may only have WhatsApp chat history from April this year (after our planned marriage over video call)[/list]

Please let me know if you require any further information.

Thanks and regards

Abdullah

raheem_ehsan

Re: PSW to Student Dependant Switch

Post by raheem_ehsan » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:58 am

Dear Everyone,

Please help me with this query. I would appreciate your help.

Thanks

Raheem

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:30 am

raheem_ehsan wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:38 pm
1) Should my to be wife mention about our online marriage and intention of registering the marriage in the UK in her student application? Or should she avoid mentioning anything about marriage?
2) Will it become difficult to prove that our marriage is genuine if she omits the marriage details from her student application and only register it when she is here? Would it seem like a sham marriage since we would then only have known eachother for just a couple of month before I apply for dependant?
The application specifically asks whether you have family in the UK anyway.
raheem_ehsan wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:38 pm
3) When I apply for the student dependant, how can I prove my subsisting marriage as I may not have the long list of documents apart from marriage certificate from the council. I may only have WhatsApp chat history from April this year (after our planned marriage over video call)
It is not just about showing that the marriage is subsisting, but that is is genuine and subsisting. There is no set list of documents for proving this, because different people have different situations, but I agree that if you had never met your spouse before you married them, this could be tricky to prove. I recommend your friend seeks professional advice. It is not wise or safe for your friend to delegate this to you to research, especially if you are crowdsourcing advice online.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

raheem_ehsan

Post by raheem_ehsan » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:02 pm

Hi All,

Thanks you so much for the advice sah10406. It is appreciated.
I will keep you all posted when there is a major change in the situation.

Kind regards

Raheem