ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query on Tier 4 Maintenance

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ITGraduate
Member of Standing

Query on Tier 4 Maintenance

Post by ITGraduate » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:45 am

Dear Seniors,

( asking this on behalf of my cousin- he is unable to open an account to post his own query)

My wife will be applying for her UK Tier 4 student visa along with 3 dependents ( myself and our 2 children ) from Dubai in 1st week of August 2020. We are all Indian citizens living and working in Dubai for over 5+ years.

My father will be sponsoring my wifes visa application. I have added myself to his bank account as a joint acct holder yesterday. He had funds from his monthly salary to cover the maintenance requirement. But not sure if I have to add my wife in to his account as joint account holder. what is a better option?

He will give his bank statement for the last 6 months. Ofcourse my name will also be there on the statements

He will also give a letter confirming he is happy to sponsor his daughter in law, son ( myself ) and his 2 grandchildren for all expenses during our stay in UK.

Queries:

1- Is it best to have my wife included as joint account holder on my fathers bank account or should my father add me

2- Do we need any further documents as proof of expenses, funds for our visa application

Kindly help

Thanks,
ITGRADUATE

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Query on Tier 4 Maintenance

Post by sah10406 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:21 am

ITGraduate wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:45 am
But not sure if I have to add my wife in to his account as joint account holder.
Yes you would, because as Appendix C of the immigration rules, para 1B(a)iii, says, a Tier 4 applicant can show money only in their own name or in their parent's name. Your father and yourself are neither of those things to the applicant:

(iii) The statements must clearly show:
(1) the name of:
_i. the applicant,
_ii the applicant’s parent(s) or legal guardian’s name, if the applicant is applying as a Tier 4 Migrant or as a Child of a Relevant Points-Based System Migrant, or
_iii. the name of the Relevant Points-Based System Migrant, if the applicant is applying as a Partner of a Relevant Points-Based System Migrant.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ance-funds
ITGraduate wrote:
He will also give a letter confirming he is happy to sponsor his daughter in law, son ( myself ) and his 2 grandchildren for all expenses during our stay in UK.
This is not relevant. He is not sponsoring anyone, he is just a joint account holder with the applicant. As advised above, the Tier 4 applicant needs to have money that is held in their own name on in their parent's name.

Separately, each Tier 4 dependant applicants needs to show money held in the Tier 4 applicant's name, in their own name, or (children only) in their other parent's name.

See Appendix E of the immigration rules, paragraph (f):

(f) In all cases, the funds in question must be available to:
(i) the applicant, or
(ii) where they are applying as the partner of a [Tier 4 migrant], either to them or to that [Tier 4 migrant], or
(iii) where they are applying as the child of a [Tier 4 migrant], either to them, to the [Tier 4 migrant] or to the child’s other parent who is lawfully present in the UK or being granted entry clearance, or leave to enter or remain, at the same time;

ITGraduate wrote:
1- Is it best to have my wife included as joint account holder on my fathers bank account or should my father add me
She, or both you and she. See above.
ITGraduate wrote:
2- Do we need any further documents as proof of expenses, funds for our visa application
No.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

ITGraduate
Member of Standing

Post by ITGraduate » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:56 pm

Thank you for your reply. Very much appreciated !

We tried to add his wife ( as join account holder ) to his fathers bank account but the request was denied by the bank because my wife is not biologically related. ( i.e not his own daughter )

My wife doesnt have a bank account on her name as per the UAE laws. only people who work can hold a bank account in UAE and my wife is a home maker and on dependent visa

so what options do we have. Can you please clarify my queries below

1- Transferring funds from my fathers and my bank joint bank account today to my own personal account. Then take a statement from my personal bank account after 28 days and submit it for my wifes Tier 4 visa. I will only do this on or after 6th Aug 2020 to ensure we have given 28 days. Is this OK and will this be acceptable by UK visas?

2- if I transfer funds from our joint account ( my fathers and mine ) to my personal bank account- do I have to justify where i got the funds from to home office

3- Assuming I can sponsor my wife for her visa application along with myself and our 2 children and provide my personal bank statement for the last 6 months- IS that enough?

4- How much funds should I have to show in total

I hope other than personal documents, IELTS, unconditional offer letter and bank statements I assume I dont have to show any other documents. Is my assumption correct

Many Thanks and Regards,
ITGRADUATE

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:49 am

ITGraduate wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:56 pm
1- Transferring funds from my fathers and my bank joint bank account today to my own personal account. Then take a statement from my personal bank account after 28 days and submit it for my wifes Tier 4 visa. I will only do this on or after 6th Aug 2020 to ensure we have given 28 days. Is this OK and will this be acceptable by UK visas?
Under the immigration rules, no, as previously advised. Whether there is a concession that acknowledges local rules about who can hold a bank account, I don't know. You would need to check that with the relevant UK visa applications post there.
ITGraduate wrote:
2- if I transfer funds from our joint account ( my fathers and mine ) to my personal bank account- do I have to justify where i got the funds from to home office
As above, your wife could not use that evidence anyway.
ITGraduate wrote:
3- Assuming I can sponsor my wife for her visa application along with myself and our 2 children and provide my personal bank statement for the last 6 months- IS that enough?
As above, you cannot "sponsor" your wife. For the dependant applications you and your children can show evidence of money held in your name, but for her Tier 4 application your wife cannot.
ITGraduate wrote:
4- How much funds should I have to show in total
These are standard amounts. See the PBS Dependants guidance, page 17:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rs-1-2-4-5
ITGraduate wrote:
I hope other than personal documents, IELTS, unconditional offer letter and bank statements I assume I dont have to show any other documents. Is my assumption correct
The application form itself prompts you for whatever evidence you need.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.