ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Second undergraduate degree after 4 years

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

arbymohamad
Newly Registered
Philippines

Second undergraduate degree after 4 years

Post by arbymohamad » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:50 am

Hi,

I am planning to study in UK this September 2019 and would like to know if it will be an issue to study another undergraduate degree. I graduated last 2014 and honestly speaking, I did not practice my course and my work experience is totally different from it.

Now, I finally decided to study another undergraduate degree which I really like and see myself practicing the craft. I applied for Quantity Surveying & Commercial Management and got acceptance from 6 universities. I've chosen UK because this course is very technical and not may universities outside UK offer the specific course. (Only 2 colleges in Canada and a couple around NZ and Australia but I find those two countries really expensive) My previous undergraduate degree from my home country is Electronics Engineering.

I am currently based in Qatar where I am working to save up more money before studying. My family is currently residing here as well.

Will this raise a red flag? Will the HO deem me to be "not a genuine student"?

Should I go back to my home country to apply there? I have already gotten a rejection from Canada because they questioned my stay/ residence here in Qatar and I am really scared that UK will judge my application the same.

Thanks and any advice would help.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Second undergraduate degree after 4 years

Post by sah10406 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:11 pm

arbymohamad wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:50 am
Will the HO deem me to be "not a genuine student"?
They might wonder, but that's what the credibility interview is for, so you can explain your plans if they query them. A university that issues you a CAS has already made their own judgement call on whether you are a genuine student, so if you are concerned you can ask for their advice on how best to explain your situation to an ECO, if asked.
arbymohamad wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:50 am
Should I go back to my home country to apply there?
No, unless you happen to be going there anyway. You apply where you are living. See https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... pply-ecb05
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

arbymohamad
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by arbymohamad » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:32 pm

Thanks for the response sah10406,

The thing is, I am currently on a work visa which as per Canada standards, it is a temporary residency. I am just worried that ECO would think the same and say that I do not have strong ties here even though my family ( Mother, Brother, In laws & other relatives) are here. I have read somewhere that Canada, UK, NZ and Australia share the information regarding the immigration history/refusals of any visas. This is the reason why I am considering going back to Philippines to really prove them that I want to study the course and that I am a genuine student. What's your advice regarding this?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:55 pm

arbymohamad wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:32 pm
What's your advice regarding this?
See the UK Home Office's guidance "Where to apply: the guidance" posted in my previous reply. See also https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information-- ... layer-3900 > Where and how do I apply?

If you are still concerned (which I think is unwarranted), contact the application post in the country where you are living, and ask them first if they will accept your application under the policy linked above. There is no reason to expect that they would not, nor why such an application would somehow in itself raise flags that you are not genuine.

I think you may be overthinking it, but perhaps you can contact your Tier 4 sponsor to discuss. They are as invested in a successful application as you are.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

arbymohamad
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by arbymohamad » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:13 pm

Thank you sah10406! Much appreciated. Will get in touch with my sponsor.