ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Short term Student Visa (11 months)

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lisanncruz
Newly Registered
Philippines

Short term Student Visa (11 months)

Post by lisanncruz » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:00 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking at going for the short term student visa to just do an English course. I've found one near to where my sister lives (I'm planning to live with her whilst I do the course). I'm only wondering, does it need to lead to a qualification? I can sign up for 39 weeks - just a general english course but it doesn't lead to any qualification. It is also not full-time I just want to improve my English. Is this allowed? Also do you need to show a certain amount of savings to cover the 11 months in the UK? Thanks for any help in advance.

lolo2
Venezuela

Re: Short term Student Visa (11 months)

Post by lolo2 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:40 am

lisanncruz wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:00 pm
t it doesn't lead to any qualification. It is also not full-time I just want to improve my English. Is this allowed? Also do you need to show a certain amount of savings to cover the 11 months in the UK? Thanks for any help in advance.
Your first question is a bit confusing. Yes, you are allowed to come to the UK for an English course with a short term Student visa, thousands do the same every year.

And yes, you need to prove that you're able to pay the course fees and have enough money to support yourself during the course.

lisanncruz
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by lisanncruz » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:11 pm

Thank you.

I was just wondering if there are any minimum hours you need to do on the course or whether it needs to lead to a formal qualification? The guidance seems to suggest not but I just wondered if that was really the case. It is not very clear. Anyway, thanks for your reply :-)

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:49 am

All the requirements are laid out in Immigration Rules Appendix Short-Term Student (English Language):

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... h-language

If you have any concerns about a specific course being eligible, you can just speak directly to the provider of the course.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.