ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch tier 2 dependent visa to tier 4 student visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

uknewbie30
Newly Registered
United States of America

Switch tier 2 dependent visa to tier 4 student visa

Post by uknewbie30 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi, I am currently on a Tier 2 dependent visa for the next 2 years. The main Tier 2 holder is my wife who has a Tier 2 ICT visa. I plan on enrolling in an MBA program for the 2019/20 intake. I believe I can study on a tier 2 dependent visa (if I am mistaken please let me know).

But what I am worried about is if for any reason my wife loses her Tier 2 ICT visa while I am in the middle of my MBA program will I able to switch to a Tier 4 student visa while remaining in the UK to finish up my study?

My fear is spending a lot of money for the MBA program and then not being able to finish due to a visa issue.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Switch tier 2 dependent visa to tier 4 student visa

Post by sah10406 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:31 pm

uknewbie30 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:23 pm
I believe I can study on a tier 2 dependent visa (if I am mistaken please let me know).
Anyone with any type of visa can study if they wish. Only visas issued specifically for study or for visiting have restrictions on study.
uknewbie30 wrote:
But what I am worried about is if for any reason my wife loses her Tier 2 ICT visa while I am in the middle of my MBA program will I able to switch to a Tier 4 student visa while remaining in the UK to finish up my study?
You cannot switch within the UK. You would need to make time to apply for a Tier 4 student visa in your home country, which is probably best done in a university vacation.
uknewbie30 wrote:
My fear is spending a lot of money for the MBA program and then not being able to finish due to a visa issue.
That would only happen if your course itself was not eligible for Tier 4 sponsorship, but you can check that with the university before you start.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

uknewbie30
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by uknewbie30 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:12 pm

Thank you so much sah10406, this is really helpful! Any idea how long it would take for me to get a Tier 4 visa in the US? This might be something for me to work out with the school ahead of time to make sure there isn't an issue but any insight would be very much appreciated. I could see it potentially being difficult for me to find more than a week or two to fly back to the US and get this done (i'm not even sure if 5-10 working days is enough time).

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:35 pm

uknewbie30 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:12 pm
Any idea how long it would take for me to get a Tier 4 visa in the US?
See https://www.gov.uk/visa-processing-times
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.