ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 Dependant Financial Requirement

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MD_BLESS
Newly Registered

Tier 4 Dependant Financial Requirement

Post by MD_BLESS » Wed May 17, 2017 9:48 pm

How much do my myself and my son need to show for 28 day to switch to Tier 4 dependent here in the UK. My wife is on a Tier 4 visa and her University is outside of London.

Do I need to show -
1. £12240 (9 x 680 x 2) or
2. 21375 = £12240 + £9135 (£9135 is the maintenance that my wife showed initially when she applied for Tier 4 back in our home country.) or
3. £21375 + any outstanding tuition fees my wife have not paid to her University.

From my initial understanding of Financial requirement guidance for dependant, I thought the correct option was 1. However, on filling the online application form, under "Proving you have enough money to be in the UK" section, it makes me want to think that option 2 is the right option. It says as follows;

"I am a dependant applying separately
Your living costs will depend on the number of dependants, the length of the student’s leave,
where they will be studying in the UK and whether they are applying for leave to remain on the
Doctorate Extension Scheme, as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer, or as a postgraduate
doctor or dentist on a Foundation Programme.
For example, an applicant who is applying for leave to study in London with their spouse and 2
children would need to show that they have £845 per month for their spouse and a further £845
per month for each of their children. This is in addition to £1265 per month required for their
own support.
In total the family would need to show that they have £3,800 per month [£1,265 + (3 x £845)]
in available funds for the length of the student’s leave, up to 9 months. If the student is on a
course lasting for 12 months, they would need to show £34,200 in available funds (£3,800 x 9)..."

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 4 Dependant Financial Requirement

Post by sah10406 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:23 am

MD_BLESS wrote:1. £12240 (9 x 680 x 2)
This one.

Any questions, your wife can speak to the international student adviser at her university.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

arts99

Post by arts99 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:19 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 7:23 am
MD_BLESS wrote:1. £12240 (9 x 680 x 2)
This one.

Any questions, your wife can speak to the international student adviser at her university.
I know its an old post but the scenario is relevant to many.

What if the £12,240 is actually from the same funds that were shown to show for maintenance of the main Tier 4 applicant?

Let's say the total money they had was £15,000 held for 28 days and the main applicant applies first and get the visa approved as its more than £9135; the remaining two dependants apply later and use the same or later dated statement of bank letter to show that they have at least £12,240. Will the dependants application be approved as the main applicant didnt have to prove his/her maintenance?

Thank you

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:04 pm

arts99 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:19 pm
What if the £12,240 is actually from the same funds that were shown to show for maintenance of the main Tier 4 applicant?
The dependant would not be able to meet the requirement of paragraph (ba)(i)(3) of Appendix E that

(3) the applicant must confirm that the funds [...] are:
(i) available in the manner [...] for use in living costs in the UK; and
(ii) that the funds will remain available [...] unless used to pay for living costs.

If they presented the money as available for their living costs, that would be untrue, so may lead to a refusal with deception.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.