ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 Dependent to Tier 4 General

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

peterrowe10
Newly Registered
United States of America

Tier 4 Dependent to Tier 4 General

Post by peterrowe10 » Sun May 05, 2019 11:09 am

Hello all,

My husband is currently finishing his masters at the University of Edinburgh on a Tier 4 general (student) visa, while I am working on a Tier 4 Dependent visa. I have recently been accepted into the University of Dundee for a 1 years masters program. I am planning to start my program under the Tier 4 dependent visa, and switch to the Tier 4 general (student) visa in December over the month long winter break. In essence, my husband and I need to swap our visa statuses. Has anyone done this before/know if this is logistically feasible?

We are primarily concerned with the logistics of applying for a Tier 4 general (student) visa after my program has already begun (as I will start it on the Tier 4 Dependent Visa).

Other useful info- We are both USA citizens, our current visas (husbands Tier 4 general and my dependent) expire March 2020

Any info is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 4 Dependent to Tier 4 General

Post by sah10406 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:15 pm

peterrowe10 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:09 am
We are primarily concerned with the logistics of applying for a Tier 4 general (student) visa after my program has already begun (as I will start it on the Tier 4 Dependent Visa).
You don't specifically say so, but I assume that your spouse is not extending their own leave for further study or for work, and that you know that you would need to apply for the Tier 4 visa in your home country.

The only logistics would be finding the right time to travel home to apply, that gives you enough time for the application but that does not mean missing any essential parts of your course. A month seems to be plenty of time.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.