ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 Student Visa eligibility

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

maddyp
Newly Registered
Australia

Tier 4 Student Visa eligibility

Post by maddyp » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:05 pm

Hi all,

First time poster so here's hoping I don't accidentally run into any board taboos!

I'm an Australian and have just spent two years in the UK on a Tier 5 YMS visa and, like many people in my postition, now want to stay in the UK long term. After a heck of a lot of research and conversations had, I've determined that my best bet to obtain a new visa right now is to get on a Tier 4 student visa, but looking at the gov.uk website's list of eligibility requirements for this visa (https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/eligibility), I have a question.

"You can do a course that’s one of the following:
-full-time leading to a qualification that’s at least level 6 on the Ofqual register
-part-time leading to a qualification that’s at least level 7 on the Ofqual register
-an overseas course of degree level study that’s equal to a UK higher education course and is being run by an overseas higher education institution
-full-time, with at least 15 hours per week of organised daytime study, leading to a qualification which is at least level 3 on the Ofqual register
-a recognised foundation programme as a postgraduate doctor or dentist"

I don't understand the difference between points 1 and 4 of the above paragraph, besides the Ofqual level qualification. If the minimum Ofqual level qualification is 3, then doesn't it make the first point about level 6 irrelevant? Or incorrect? If anyone can shed some light, it would be much appreciated.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 4 Student Visa eligibility

Post by sah10406 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:29 am

maddyp wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:05 pm
If the minimum Ofqual level qualification is 3, then doesn't it make the first point about level 6 irrelevant? Or incorrect?
"At least level 3" should probably more correctly say "at levels 3, 4 or 5". It is about Further Education courses.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

maddyp
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by maddyp » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:52 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:29 am
"At least level 3" should probably more correctly say "at levels 3, 4 or 5". It is about Further Education courses.
Thanks for your reply. So if a course needs to be level 3 or above, then there's no need for the first point about it needing to be at least level 6 - would you agree? Or am I missing something?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:18 am

UKCISA's guide to eligible courses is maybe a little more readable than the Home Office's own:

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information-- ... quirements
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

maddyp
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by maddyp » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:02 pm

Thank you for the link, that's a great resource, much appreciated!