ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 switch Tier 2 12 months PhD

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

anahi23
Newly Registered
Mexico

Tier 4 switch Tier 2 12 months PhD

Post by anahi23 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Hi everyone,
I am doing a PhD, I began the MPhil/PhD program in October 2017, I did my transfer viva in April 2019, I found a job which is offering me to sponsor a tier 2 visa. But my university said that the 12 months PhD letter could be provided until August 2020 because they approved the PhD transfer on a meeting happened in August 2019.
Is my university misunderstanding the 12 months? Should they take into account the time since I enrolled the program?

Thank you

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 4 switch Tier 2 12 months PhD

Post by sah10406 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:21 am

It just depends what was the start date of you being a PhD student on their records system.

But a "12 months PhD letter" is not really a thing anyway. It is the employer, not the university, who needs to ascertain whether you have completed the required 12 months on your PhD and can therefore switch to Tier 2 under their sponsorship. Of course they need confirmation of the basic facts your studies from the university, but it is not the university who should be making the judgement call on eligibility to switch, it is the employer.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

anahi23
Newly Registered
Mexico

Post by anahi23 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:20 pm

Thank you.
The Tier 2 sponsor is satisfied with the "12 months PhD" but the university is refusing to provide the letter until August. No matters I did the viva +12 months ago and finished the thesis.
Is that letter be needed in the visa application interview?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:55 pm

anahi23 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:20 pm
The Tier 2 sponsor is satisfied with the "12 months PhD" but the university is refusing to provide the letter until August.
Again, it is the employer's responsibility to be satisfied you meet the requirement. It is not the responsibility or even the concern of the university. Neither you nor the employer needs their "permission" to switch to a different visa. Of course they do need to know when you have switched, because you are then no longer their responsibility.
anahi23 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:20 pm
Is that letter be needed in the visa application interview?
No.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.