ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 to Tier 4 Marriage

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Mrs AI
Newly Registered
Mood:

Tier 4 to Tier 4 Marriage

Post by Mrs AI » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am

I have friends who would like to get married in the UK next year.

They are both Nigerian citizens on student visas in the UK with at least 2 and 3 years more of study here before they leave.

Does anyone have a link to a government page on what they need in order to get married?

They asked if I knew but all of the information I've found relates to marrying a UK resident/ citizen or coming into the country to have a destination wedding.

There used to be something called a Certificate of Approval from the home office but that now seems to have been discontinued.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Re: Tier 4 to Tier 4 Marriage

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:10 am

If they intend to marry in the UK then they just do the normal thing as if both UK citizens. Because there is no advantage from an immigration point of view to marrying in the UK when both parties have no UK status they are not interested.

There is a process when there is a UK / EU party involved marrying a non UK/EU person. That has to be registered at a nominated Registery Office and they advise the Home Office. It is essentially to stop sham marriages where the non UK/EU person would or may attract the right to remain due to marriage.

To be absolutely sure for your friends find their closest nominated Registery Office and ask for a general appointment and they are pretty good at talking through the requirements.