ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to the UK with valid leave but previously withdrawn app - help!

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

maledicta98
Newly Registered
India

Travelling to the UK with valid leave but previously withdrawn app - help!

Post by maledicta98 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:16 pm

Hi, hoping for some help here as this has really caused me some sleepless nights. I’m 24, female, and have been a student in the UK since 2016:
2016-2019: BA
2019-2020: MA
2020-2025: PhD

all at a Russell Group institution (Uni A) with a track record of compliance.

My current visa is valid until 2025, no issues whatsoever.

In early 2022, my secondary PhD advisor moved to University B, another high ranking university. I initially thought about moving with her, and as Uni B gave me a CAS, I put in an application for a student visa at this new institution.

In March, I decided not to do this, as University A had offered me a large fee waiver scholarship. So I withdrew the application to switch my sponsor to Uni B, and did it pre biometrics. I got an ROD number when I withdrew, and whilst I haven’t received my refund yet I understand that takes time especially now.

All this time, my leave to remain with University A is fine. I checked it 5 minutes ago on the right to work online checker, it still says it expires at the end of 2025.

No issues there, so I travelled out of the UK in June for a short holiday, my first since pandemic - and I’m due to return next week. I did the stupid thing of going on here and realised things like applications are all flagged up at the border - and now I’m freaking out that I may be stopped or questioned.

I don’t think I did anything wrong at all - frankly, I’m probably the one being wronged waiting 3 months for a refund and all - but I’m just terrified it may reflect badly on me that I tried switching visas. Just looking for some reassurance really. I would normally not worry but I have a pronounced stutter and just do really horribly under pressure when it comes to speaking.

vinny

Re: Travelling to the UK with valid leave but previously withdrawn app - help!

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:03 am

If they accepted your application’s withdrawal, then it’s okay? Changing your mind about applying is not normally grounds for refusal. A refund is subject to their refund policy.

Else, if you have a pending application, then things may get complicated.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

maledicta98
Newly Registered
India

Post by maledicta98 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:24 am

vinny wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:03 am
If they accepted your application’s withdrawal, then it’s okay? Changing your mind about applying is not normally grounds for refusal. A refund is subject to their refund policy.

Else, if you have a pending application, then things may get complicated.
So the thing is - I *assume* the withdrawal has been accepted? I only have a Return of Documents number which is an acknowledgement of my withdrawal request - although this seems standard, with many who withdrew recently within the UK not getting any formal acknowledgement until the refund comes through.

I did read that thread - I don’t mind if the application, if pending, is automatically withdrawn on leaving or re-entering the UK, to be honest I’d prefer that. I just wondered if it was grounds to be denied entry, even though my current student visa still only expires in 2025 and I have that BRP (also via the right-to-work online check it says I have permission till 2025, and I assume that is updated semi regularly at least…)

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:31 am

If your circumstances are the same, then I think you should be okay.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.