ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working hours allowance on tier 4 student visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

NizamNizz
Newly Registered
India

Working hours allowance on tier 4 student visa

Post by NizamNizz » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:08 pm

Hi, I came to the UK in 2018 on Tier 4 General student visa valid for 2 years and 4 months. That visa allowed me to attend 1 year of university and 1 year internship at a workplace approved by the same university. In the first year I was allowed to work 20 hours per week (term time) and 40 hours per week (non term time). In the second year i.e during the internship I was allowed to work 40 hour per week. My employers liked my work and let me continue. My visa got expired on August 31 2020. Recently I applied for another course at a different university I am interested in and have also applied for a fresh tier 4 student visa accordingly. This visa application is still in the process. My online classes have are already started. I would be grateful if you can answer whether I am allowed to work 20 hours or 40 hours per week?

secret.simon

Re: Working hours allowance on tier 4 student visa

Post by secret.simon » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:15 pm

Did you apply for the new visa before or after your old Tier 4 visa expired?

If you applied before or on the date of expiry of your previous visa, then the conditions of your previous visa continue until the decision is taken on your new application.

If you applied after the date of expiry of the previous visa, even just the day after, then you are an overstayer and currently do not have the right to work in the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Working hours allowance on tier 4 student visa

Post by sah10406 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:17 am

NizamNizz wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:08 pm
I would be grateful if you can answer whether I am allowed to work 20 hours or 40 hours per week?
20. As you say, it is term-time.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.