Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

can Tier 4 (study) switch to Tier 5 (creative & sporting)?

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:04 pm

can Tier 4 (study) switch to Tier 5 (creative & sporting)?

Post by tash99 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:12 pm

can a US citizen who has been in the UK for 3 years on a tier 4 study visa switch to a tier 5 creative and sporting visa if he is offered a job in the UK?

User avatar
Posts: 66081
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
South Africa

Re: can Tier 4 (study) switch to Tier 5 (creative & sporting)?

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:17 pm

Doesn't appear possible to switch within the UK from Tier 4. You would need to apply from your home country. ... -this-visa
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

The Station Agent
Senior Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:51 am
Location: UK

Re: can Tier 4 (study) switch to Tier 5 (creative & sporting)?

Post by The Station Agent » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:31 pm

CR001 is correct; for some reason the switching route is very restrictive in tier 5. You'd need to return to your home country and apply for a UK work visa from there, once you have a valid CoS.