ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Completing Marriage form for Scotland under Tier 5

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

theLittleMermaid
Newly Registered
Canada

Completing Marriage form for Scotland under Tier 5

Post by theLittleMermaid » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:23 am

Hello,

I know the question of can you get married in the UK on a Tier 5 (YMS) has been asked a million times - and it seems the answer is yes.

My question is whether there is any specific visa you need to do the marriage - and what heading you fill out on the Home Office Declaration of Immigration Status form.

Planning on a wedding in Scotland - fiance has been living here for a few years, myself for the past year.

On the registry form, the immigration status options are a) appropriate immigration status (permanent residence, settled status, exempt from immigration control); b) marriage visit visa or fiancé visa; c) neither; d) my immigration position is…

If I have a valid Tier 5 YMS visa - should I be indicating A (appropriate status) and simply provide a copy of my brp? Or, is there a separate visa I need to apply for to let me get married? I don't want to switch to a fiance visa as that does not allow you to work, whereas the Tier 5 does. I looked at the regulations for the act, and it seems appropriate immigration status is not for temporary visas. The only other option on the form is to say I don't have the appropriate immigration or status and explain my situation...this seems incorrect.

After that, the plan is to apply for the EEA family permit (spouse is from EEA region but living in UK) - or, I guess the FLR (M) visa depending on whatever happens post-Brexit!

If anyone has done this before, would love to hear your advice or get an idea of where to go for some advice. Thank you for your help!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Completing Marriage form for Scotland under Tier 5

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:29 am

My question is whether there is any specific visa you need to do the marriage
No. You must hold any limited leave to remain visa other than a tourist/visitor visa.
- and what heading you fill out on the Home Office Declaration of Immigration Status form.

On the registry form, the immigration status options are a) appropriate immigration status (permanent residence, settled status, exempt from immigration control); b) marriage visit visa or fiancé visa; c) neither; d) my immigration position is…
You state what your current visa is under either (a).
If I have a valid Tier 5 YMS visa - should I be indicating A (appropriate status) and simply provide a copy of my brp?
Yes and your passport.
Or, is there a separate visa I need to apply for to let me get married?
No.
I don't want to switch to a fiance visa as that does not allow you to work, whereas the Tier 5 does.

You cannot 'switch' to a fiance visa within the UK anyway.
I looked at the regulations for the act, and it seems appropriate immigration status is not for temporary visas. The only other option on the form is to say I don't have the appropriate immigration or status and explain my situation...this seems incorrect.
You are overthinking. If you feel (a) is not applicable, then write it in (d).
After that, the plan is to apply for the EEA family permit (spouse is from EEA region but living in UK) - or, I guess the FLR (M) visa depending on whatever happens post-Brexit!

If your partner is an EU citizen, a Fiance visa is not applicable anyway.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

theLittleMermaid
Newly Registered
Canada

Re: Completing Marriage form for Scotland under Tier 5

Post by theLittleMermaid » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:33 am

It would be very classic for me to be overthinking...that is what a law degree will do to you. :roll:

Thanks for the advice!