ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entering UK close to visa expiry

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lulomi
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Entering UK close to visa expiry

Post by lulomi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi there,

New on this board and new to immigration in general... it can be complicated!

I'm a 27 year old kiwi and I've been living in England on my Tier 5 Visa since January last year with my English fiance who I met in NZ 3 years ago

My visa expires mid jan and we have a holiday booked to europe for the end of November - beginning of December. My fiance has applied for his NZ visa (we have the application number but aren't due to find out more until december) but we are planning our wedding for the end of December so I'm worried they will think i'm planning to stay or something like that! We wanted to do it here before we leave because his family are here and we're much closer to them.

Am I likely to encounter any issues reentering the UK upon returning after my holiday?

Casa

Re: Entering UK close to visa expiry

Post by Casa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 pm

No issue with re-entering the UK close to the expiry date of your current visa. However, are you aware of the Home Office requirements
for marrying in the UK as a foreign national :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

lulomi
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by lulomi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Thanks for your reply, has calmed my nerves!

As far as I am aware we have all the requirements needed - I got a certificate of no impediment from my home country, a declaration of immigration status and when we gave notice the registrar advised that as a matter of practise they refer to the home office for all non EEA nationals to see if they want to investigate. Our relationship is obviously genuine so I am not concerned about that.

Are there any other requirements you think I should know about??

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:36 pm

Only that the Home Office have the right to extend the notification period from 28 to 70 days in order to interview you both should they choose to do so, before the marriage can take place. The intention to marry shortly prior to a visa expiry date often comes under scrutiny.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

lulomi
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by lulomi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:46 pm

Yeah we worried about that too but then realised that even if we wanted to stay we wouldn't need to get married as we have 2+ years worth of shared bills, photos and all the evidence we gave to NZ immigration for his visa, i.e., I meet the requirements without the need to get married. Fingers crossed it won't be an issue!

Thanks for taking the time out to answer.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:51 pm

You're welcome and I hope it all goes to plan. :)
(Casa, not CR001)