ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

grace period after expiry

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

colleo
Newly Registered

grace period after expiry

Post by colleo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:56 pm

I have seen in some forums that there is a 28 day grace period between when your YMS visa expires and when you must leave the UK - is there anywhere this is in writing? I have only seen it officially with regards to future travel bans (i.e. if you leave the UK with less than 28 days you should be able to re-enter in the future) but I have not seen it documented that you won't face ANY problems.

My YMS expires 3 April 2011 and I would like to travel a bit before returning to Canada in June, using the UK as my homebase during that time but travelling abroad. Slightly worried about repercussions and being prevented from re-entry.

Thanks!

The Station Agent

Post by The Station Agent » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:27 pm

I don't think it's automatic - I think you'd have to request the 28 days. As far as I know, as soon as your stamp is up you must leave or you're an overstayer.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:58 pm

there's no 28 day grace period automatic or otherwise.

if you visa expires on a certain date you need to leave by that date unless you qualify and apply for leave in another category. You won't be able to re-enter the UK using your Tier 5 visa after it expires.

If you are from Canada then as a non-visa national you may qualify for re-entry as a visitor. You would need to leave the UK before the expiry of your visa and then apply for a visit visa either at the border upon your return to the UK although there are no guarantees you would be granted entry. You would need to show that you intend to return to Canada and have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in the UK.

colleo
Newly Registered

Post by colleo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:53 pm

Many thanks! That is what I suspected but it reassures me to have clarification. I will have a one-way flight to Canada and proof of funds to show. They can also have my NI card as I do not intend to be illegal!

Jaymond
Newly Registered

Post by Jaymond » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:59 pm

I'm in a very similar situation, but am from Australia, and only want to stay a week or so extra.

Is it pretty much guaranteed that it will all be cool if I show the one way ticket when I re-enter after my visa expires?

thanks very much!

Jay

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:14 am

colleo
Newly Registered

I got back in!

Post by colleo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:48 pm

So my visa expired 3 April and I returned from Israel on 9 April. Customs did say it was an unusually short trip but did not even ask to see my flight out and just stamped me in.

When I had returned from Paris a few weeks before, I got raked over the coals by the customs officer who said I had no right to be a tourist because the purpose of my visa was to travel (not so, as the working holidaymaker scheme is now focused more on working than holidaying), and that my right to enter would be dependent on the officer's "mood". I immersed myself in deportation docs and, of course, it is a major thing to deny entry and they would have had no reason to in my case (I had supporting docs to assuage any fears I was up to no good).

They throw their weight around and try to bully but if you've got your ducks in a row, you're fine. They need the tourist dollars in the economy!