Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

Most efficient visa option for Thai national looking to work in the UK for 8 months?

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Post Reply
Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:33 pm

Most efficient visa option for Thai national looking to work in the UK for 8 months?

Post by Rusty9565 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:49 pm

Hi all 👋
First post in here.
I am a UK/British citizen 🇬🇧.
My girlfriend is from Thailand, she holds a Thai passport.
She is 21, and studies at a university in Thailand.
She is going to start an 8 month internship (job placement).
She has been offered a job at a hotel in England, which will last the duration of her 8 month internship starting later this year.
She is allowed to work full time, and the hotel is willing to hire her. However they have no idea ahout the visa requirements/process.
What would be the most efficient visa choice for my girlfriend to choose, that will allow her to work in the UK full time for 8 months?

P.s., she will not be "studying" whilst on this 8 month work period, but she will still technically be classed as a Thai university student.

Any agency recommendations would be much appreciated also. Thank you! ❤️ 🇹🇭🙏

Posts: 32725
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:58 pm

Re: Most efficient visa option for Thai national looking to work in the UK for 8 months?

Post by vinny » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:31 pm

Bing’s answer:
I'm sorry to tell you this, but it seems that getting a UK internship visa in the hospitality sector is very difficult. According to the web search results, the main sponsor for the Temporary Worker GAE visa, formerly known as the Tier 5 visa, is BUNAC¹. However, BUNAC does not sponsor internships in hospitality or healthcare for the UK¹. They do offer hospitality training programs in the USA⁴, but that may not be what you are looking for.

The other option is to apply for a Skilled Worker visa, which requires you to have a hospitality job in the list of eligible roles², meet the salary requirements for your role², and have a valid sponsorship from your employer³. However, this visa is more suitable for long-term workers than interns, and the eligibility criteria are quite strict.

Therefore, you may want to consider other countries or sectors for your internship, or look for alternative visa options. I hope you find a suitable opportunity for your career goals. 😊

Source: Conversation with Bing, 27/01/2024
(1) Intern in Britain | Tier 5 GAE Visa Eligibility | BUNAC. ... tain/visas.
(2) New immigration system – implications for the hospitality sector. ... ty-sector/.
(3) UK Hospitality Work Visa Options for Employers in Hospitality Sector. ... sector.php.
(4) Recruiting people from outside the UK - GOV.UK. ... ide-the-uk.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Post Reply