ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Part-time owrk under Tier 5

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

guruasis12345
Newly Registered

Part-time owrk under Tier 5

Post by guruasis12345 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:10 pm

Can we legally work part-time under Tier 5 incase the main/sponsored job requires skill in computers while part-time needs you to be just a a waiter?

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:49 pm

No you can not work as a waiter:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

Page 25
An applicant can undertake work that is supplementary to that for which his/her certificate of sponsorship has been issued. Supplementary employment must meet the following criteria:
must be in the same sector and at the same level as the work for which the certificate of sponsorship was issued;
must be no more than 20 hours per week;
must be outside of the applicant’s normal working hours for which his/her certificate of sponsorship was issued.

The applicant must continue to work for the sponsor in the employment that the certificate of sponsorship records that he/she is being sponsored to do.

guruasis12345
Newly Registered

Post by guruasis12345 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:04 pm

PaperPusher wrote:No you can not work as a waiter:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

Page 25
An applicant can undertake work that is supplementary to that for which his/her certificate of sponsorship has been issued. Supplementary employment must meet the following criteria:
must be in the same sector and at the same level as the work for which the certificate of sponsorship was issued;
must be no more than 20 hours per week;
must be outside of the applicant’s normal working hours for which his/her certificate of sponsorship was issued.

The applicant must continue to work for the sponsor in the employment that the certificate of sponsorship records that he/she is being sponsored to do.

What does one mean by "must be in the same sector". Does it mean that I can work only in an office-environment with computers (white collar job) or otherwise. And my job is project assistant so it means i can do any project assistant part time job like Admin one also

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:30 pm

Is an admin job at the same level as your project assistant job? I doubt it would be.

The job would also have to be in the same sector, so if you are a project assistant in construction say, you could really only do a very similar job part time.

You would also have to continue working in the job you are sponsored to do.

Is there any need for the RED?

guruasis12345
Newly Registered

Post by guruasis12345 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:51 am

PaperPusher wrote:Is an admin job at the same level as your project assistant job? I doubt it would be.

Well Admin job which I am thinking has a heading "Assistant", with my employer ready to say with confidence that it is for a project

The job would also have to be in the same sector, so if you are a project assistant in construction say, you could really only do a very similar job part time.

How can they find out sector when I can show that any desktop job is a computer job which comes under IT.

You would also have to continue working in the job you are sponsored to do.

I know that and why should I be leaving my job for which I was sponsored as it is the reason I am taking all this pain to come to UK. The part-time job I am thinking is to just fit into larger culture or some extra money

Is there any need for the RED?
RED is needed or rather used out of consideration for the reader to differentiate from the older posts. Hope it helped you as you are the most concerned about my queries which I really appreciate and probably obliged as well.

The Station Agent

You on working holiday visa? (YMS)

Post by The Station Agent » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:12 pm

I assume you're on the youth mobility scheme? And therefore not on a CoS. If that's the case then the responses have been misleading - but you should make clear what part of Tier 5 you're on.

If you're on youth mobility scheme then you can do pretty much whatever work you want (with some restrictions on setting up businesses).

From INF 28 guidance on YMS:

As a successful applicant you will be free to do whatever work you like during your stay in the United Kingdom except for self-employment (subject to certain exceptions, see below), working as a professional sportsperson (including as a sports coach) or working as a doctor in training. You may also engage in privately funded studies, voluntary work and au pair placements. There must be no recourse to public funds.

guruasis12345
Newly Registered

Re: You on working holiday visa? (YMS)

Post by guruasis12345 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:34 pm

The Station Agent wrote:I assume you're on the youth mobility scheme? And therefore not on a CoS. If that's the case then the responses have been misleading - but you should make clear what part of Tier 5 you're on.

If you're on youth mobility scheme then you can do pretty much whatever work you want (with some restrictions on setting up businesses).

From INF 28 guidance on YMS:

As a successful applicant you will be free to do whatever work you like during your stay in the United Kingdom except for self-employment (subject to certain exceptions, see below), working as a professional sportsperson (including as a sports coach) or working as a doctor in training. You may also engage in privately funded studies, voluntary work and au pair placements. There must be no recourse to public funds.
No No mate....I am on "Tier 5 - Government Authorized Exchange" so that's why I am worrying because the responsibility of the work one does in this is on both the applicant as well as the sponsor. Its latter what I am concerned about becoz i need to let him know that i will be part-timing. But not sure whether its the visa people who tell me whether a part-time i do is legal under this particular scheme or it is the sponsor who need to let me know the same?