ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When must I collect my BRP?

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bananafish05
Newly Registered
Australia

When must I collect my BRP?

Post by bananafish05 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:15 am

Hello,

I've been approved for a Youth Mobility Visa (tier 5) from Australia. The dates on my vignette are from the 28th of December -29th of January 2019. My approval letter says that my BRP will be ready from the 4th of Jan.

The issue is that I was intending to land in the UK on the 28th and then go to Berlin and a few other cities before the new year and return to London around the end of January.

Do I have to collect my BRP within 10 business days or can I do it anytime before the expiry of my vignette? The Gov.UK website seems to suggest I have until the end of the expiry but everything else I've read says I have to do it within 10 business days:

Collect your BRP once you’re in the UK.

You must do this before the vignette sticker in your travel document expires or within 10 days of arriving in the UK, whichever is later.

https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits/collect

Thanks for your help!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: When must I collect my BRP?

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:19 am

You must do this before the vignette sticker in your travel document expires or within 10 days of arriving in the UK, whichever is later.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bananafish05
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by bananafish05 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:37 am

That's what I thought too but I called that UKVI number (that charges you £1 a minute) and they said you have to collect within 10 business days.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:50 am

The call centre is outsourced to a third party and they give very generic information, often very incorrect too.

You need to collect BRP before your 30 day visa expires.

Be careful that you are not stamped back into the UK as a visitor when you return from your trip before your visa vignette expires!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bananafish05
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by bananafish05 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:20 am

Thanks Char.

So to add to the confusion, the actual tier 5 webpage on Gov.UK says that I have to collect the BRP within 10 days:

You’ll have to collect your biometric residence permit within 10 days of when you said you’d arrive in the UK (even if you actually arrive at a later date).

Which seems to go against the other page that says I can do it anytime before the vignette expires... :?