ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Affidavit of Support

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

eris8
Newly Registered

Affidavit of Support

Post by eris8 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:11 pm

For family immigration, do all green card applicants require a sponsor? For instance, if seeking a green card for my Irish husband, is it absolutely required that I sponsor him via the Affidavit of Support? Can he obtain a green card or citizenship any other way? Obviously, we are extremely happy now and I certainly hope that that continues for many years, but we are also practical and a bit concerned by that catch. Relationships - not to mention people in general - are unpredictable. You never know what may happen several years down the line and no matter how much you trust someone, unless you're really well off, it seems a bit crazy to become 100% responsible for supporting them financially if anything should happen (i.e. he loses his job or we separate).

Are there any other options or does the opportunity exist to draw up a separate contract that negates such responsibility? For example, if we have an attorney draw up a contract that states that neither of us will be financially responsible for the other and that we agree to cover our own costs / reimburse each other for any state benefits we're required to pay in the event of a separation...would that be binding as a proper legal document or would it simply be dismissed by the US courts if (worst case scenario), things went very bad down line and he wanted to sue for financial support?

Again, the likelihood of this happening seems nonexistent right now. We have a great relationship and I trust him completely. But life can throw the craziest things at you so it's best to cover yourself, even if it seems totally unnecessary at the moment!